Like It

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

La Gloria Cubana Serie R Black No. 58: Review

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Topado Ligero grown in Jalapa
Fillers: Nicaraguan
Size: 6.7 x 58
5 pack for $24.00 Cigars International

La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro #6 is one of my favorite cigars.  I am looking forward to trying this new Serie R Black cigar.  The Black is made with Nicaraguan tobaccos while the regular Serie R is Dominican.   

Off the Light: nice moderate peppery start with rich soil earthy tones coating the palate.  As the smoke continues the peppery style reminds me of dusty white pepper mixed with a little fine grind black pepper.  The soil note is thick and there is a woody character in the mix.  The texture is leathery and the spice lingers on the aftertaste.  There was a little uneven burn that needed a lighter correction and the burn was fine after that.  This is a full bodied smoke – I’ll give it an 8 on my strength scale.


Mid-Point: the soil, wood, and peppery mix is still present.  There seems to be a rye bread note every now and then.  A little acidic coffee bean taste is on the scene with some toasted grains.  The texture has moved from a leathery feel to a smooth leathery feel.  I’ll give it a 7.5/8 on my strength scale: full-medium to full.  The cigar delivers plenty of gray smoke.

Down the Stretch: something to drink will be needed with this full bodied cigar.  I have S. Pellegrino Sparkling Mineral Water to refresh my palate during this smoking experience.


The burn is a little uneven as it enters the final third but, the burn corrected itself.  The peppery style is mild at this point and the focus is on the earthy tones of soil, wood (a little cedar like), and toasted grains.  The coffee note reminds me of a medium-full roast coffee.  There seems to be a little dusty spice here in the final third. 

To the Point: a tasty, hearty, bold full bodied smoke.  Good complexity, ample smoke, and a smooth leathery feel.  I saw a couple of reviews were people experienced cream, honey, nutmeg and sweet malts.  I did not.  Someone even said it had a creamy texture.  I thought it was more leather like. 


I still like the regular Serie R Maduro better.  


No comments:

Post a Comment