Like It

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Gurkha Grand Age and Allagash Victor Ale: Pairing

The Ale


I'll get a picture of the right cigar - I changed at
the last minute and didn't take pics I guess

Allagash Victor
Ale Brewed with Grapes
9% abv
1pt 9.4oz (750ml) bottle
$17.00 a bottle
Allagash Brewing
Portland, Maine, USA

One of my favorite grapes, Cabernet Franc, was used in the brewing process to make this tasty ale.

Appearance: hazy burnt orange if you roll the bottle before opening or a bright semi-transparent burnt orange if you do not roll the bottle.  I like to stir up the sediment.  A ½ finger eggshell colored head.

Aroma: very light yet fruity when chilled.  A little more spice on the nose as the ale warms up. 

Flavors: there is a nice earthy yeast and grain like quality.  Knowing that Cab Franc is used in this ale has thrown me for a loop.  My brain is looking for big blackberries, black raspberries, tobacco and a big earthy style.  I am picking up more white wine and beer like qualities; like a splash of tart apple, plum (okay a red wine note), apricot (back to beer and white wine), a little nectarine to keep things smooth.  The malts are sweet but, not overwhelming.  The hops are in the mix to add some good balance to this brew. 

It is funny reading beeradvocate on this ale for they think it tastes too much like ‘cab franc’ or wine.  I am a big time cab franc slappy and this is not even close to a cab franc wine.  It is more beer like with some white wine qualities.

And, for you beer geeks – white wine and beer have a lot of tasting notes in common.  How about this profile: “ripe citrus and pineapple flavors followed by floral notes and subtle minerality.”  IPA or Chardonnay?

Mouthfeel: fine carbonation that leaves a light fizz on the tongue.  Moderate body weight and a lingering apricot skin (slight bitter/tart note) aftertaste.  Dry on the palate.   

My Strength Rating: 5


The Cigar and Pairing

Gurkha Grand Age
Wrapper: Cameroon (dark)
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan and Peruvian
Size: 7.5x54

Off the light: light to moderate earthy tone.  After a few puffs I am thinking of a firm cedar bite along with some earthy notes. 

There is a dry soil earthiness that is mixed with a medium roast coffee profile.  The texture seems to be dry and a little wool like.  There is a sharp cedary bite that adds a little twang to the palate. 

The Pairing: wow, does this cigar change the profile of this ale.  I don’t notice any of the sweet fruit or sweet malts and I don’t get the tart fruit skin on the aftertaste.  I do get a big time earthy profile on this ale while I am smoking this Gurkha. 

Mid-Point: I would say this is a medium bodied smoke. The sharp cedar, not cheddar, is still the main profile.  Underneath there is the earthy coffee taste. 

The Pairing: boy, oh boy, this ale is certainly different.  I don’t think I like the changes.  In other words, I don’t like this pairing.  I think the firm cedar profile of the cigar is affecting the sweet style of the ale.

The ale does not even affect the cigar.   

Down the Stretch: The coffee and earthy profile is pleasing to the palate.  The earthy notes are soil and wood like in quality.  The coffee note is still a medium roast style.  The cedar has settled; it is not as sharp. 

The Pairing: I just can’t recommend this pairing.  The cigar has too big of a negative effect on the ale. 

My Strength Rating (cigar): 6 – during this pairing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment