Like It

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial and Ovila Dubbel: Pairing

The Ale

Ovila Dubbel
7.5% abv
1pt 9.4oz bottle
$12.99
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Chico, California, USA
SierraNevada.com
“A collaboration between Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. and the monks at the Abbey of New Clairvaux…”

Appearance: caramel brown body with a fine fluffy tan head that has some good staying power.

Aroma: fairly light with sweet malty notes and a touch of dark dried fruits.  The bottle says, “The aroma is heady and layered mix of fruit and spice with hints of clove and black pepper …” No spices to me.  Maybe when the ale warms up?

Flavors: Nice malty character without being overly sweet.  The dark dried fruits follow.  Not complex nor does it have that wow factor but, it is a very pleasing Abbey Ale to drink. 

Mouthfeel: light in body, fine fizzy carbonation, a touch of dried fruit lingering on the palate.  I expected more.

My Strength Rating: 2.5 – nice mild Abbey Dubbel Ale.


The Cigar

Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial
Jaime (Hi-may)

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Fillers: Nicaraguan
Size: 6 x 54
$8.30 a stick in Michigan

I have never had this cigar before.  Tony from Smokey’s in Northville said this would be a full bodied smoke.  Let’s see. 

Smokey’s is in the former Trader Tom’s location in Northville, Michigan.  If you are ever in the area stop on by. 

Off the Light: nice light soil on the first two puffs and then the black pepper spice hits the sinuses and then the palate.  Wow, heavy dose of black pepper.  Don’t pass the smoke through the sinuses it is brutal.  If there any other types of flavors they are underneath this heavy dose of black pepper.  I don’t know if I will be able to smell anything the rest of the day.  Let me give this a 10 on my strength scale. 

The Pairing: The ale with its zippy carbonation sure helps to refresh the palate after a few puffs of the cigar.  I don’t think this cigar is helping the ale in any way.  It is hard to notice any flavors in the ale during this pairing. 

Mid-Point: The black pepper style is still present.  It may not be as strong as the first third but, it is still on the full side of town.  There is a good earthy mineral soil quality to the smoke and a strong dark roast coffee note is starting to show up.  I am going to give it a 9 on my strength scale. 

The Pairing: this cigar is too powerful for this mild ale.  The only thing good about this pairing is that the ale refreshes the palate from this strong peppery cigar.  The ale is only a 7.5% abv but, it is feeling like a 12% right now with this cigar – my head is spinning.  I don’t know if I should stand up at this point. 

I think this cigar may be good to pair with my old favorite Piraat Ale or a spicy Cabernet Franc red wine. 

Down the Stretch: the dark roast coffee and mineral soil seem to be the main profile at this point.  The spicy black pepper is still in the mix but not as strong as the beginning.  I go with an 8 strength rating here at the top of the stretch. 

The Pairing: this cigar is still overpowering the ale. It is hard to notice any flavors from the ale during this pairing.  This ale would be better paired with a mild or mild-medium Cameroon wrapped cigar like a Hemingway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment