Like It

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Butera Fumo Dolce and Glenmorangie 18 Year Old Single Malt Scotch: Pairing


The Scotch

Glenmorangie 18 Year Old Single Malt Scotch
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Region: Scotland Highlands
Perfected by The Sixteen Men of Tain
43% alc/vol

Purchased: Super Fine Wine & Liquor, Canton, Michigan
$99.99

Reviewed: On the ‘neat’ side

Appearance: rich amber

Nose: lightly toasted vanilla, hint of coconut,

Flavors: on my first sip I picked out the coconut, vanilla, and honey notes.  After that I get a light syrupy sherry tone, spice from the oak, a mix of pink and green peppercorn – (sweet and light peppery feel), with each sip I get a honey-nut taste on the delivery.  Maybe a little golden raisin. 

Mouthfeel/Body: light warmth, light peppery feel on the cheeks and gums, a faint yet pleasing glow on the aftertaste, mild-medium body overall, a sophisticated feel on the palate.  Kind of like slipping into a satin sheet bed with a fine looking women. 


Mouthfeel: short finish, light malty aftertaste.  I preferred the ‘neat’.

To the Point: to me this is one tasty Scotch.  In my short Scotch tasting experience, a dozen different one, this has been my favorite by far.  I’ll be buy more of this baby. 


The Cigar

Butera Fumo Dolce
Wrapper: Connecticut / USA
Binder: Indonesian
Fillers: Dominican
Size: 5.5 x 44
$8.00 in Michigan from Smoky’s of Northville

Taste Profile: light cedary wood note off the light.  As the smoke continues the tasty cedar style continues with light toasted grains and classic tobacco notes.  The Fumo Dolce is mild in body and fairly simple in style.  While the tasting notes are simple in style the cigar has a sophisticated mouthfeel.  The Butera line-up is always billed as having a creamy style.  To me I have never thought of the texture as creamy when smoking the cigar by itself.  The texture is smooth.  I have always thought of the Butera line-up as a having a Spanish cedar and a classic mild tobacco taste. 


The Pairing

This is a very nice pairing.  After a few puffs of the cigar and a sip of the Scotch I think this cigar allows me to experience all the tasty flavors of this Scotch.  The sherry notes and the honey-nut flavors just shine. 

After a few sips and then a puff or two of the cigar the cigars profile comes across as mellow as can be.  I think the oak of the Glenmorangie mixes the cedar notes of the Butera Cigar for a tasty experience. 

I think the only way to make this better would be to smoke a Cameroon wrapped cigar with a good nutty style.  

No comments:

Post a Comment