Like It

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Oliva Serie V Double Toro and La Chouffe: Cigar Review

The Cigar

Oliva Serie V Double Toro
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Sun Grown
Binder: Nicaraguan
Fillers: Nicaraguan Jalapa Vallery ligero tobaccos
Size: 6 x 60

I have to start with this disclaimer: I really like this puro and especially in this size.  It has to be one of my favorites.

Off the Light: the first few puffs reminded me of sweet raisin bread.  As the smoke continued the raisin likeness reminded me of a mix of fancy and golden raisins. The spice starts to creep in and it seems like a delicate ginger taste. 

By the inch mark I am reminded of a bright Guatemalan coffee that I just had yesterday morning.  The texture is smooth and the earthy notes are rich.

Mid-point: a medium oaky note kicks in, earthy coffee builds, dried dark fruits, and a sweet cedar note comes onto the scene.  The texture is smooth in its delivery, semi-creamy in its style and the body weight seems full to medium-full.  Take your time smoking this big boy so you can enjoy this experience. 

Down the Stretch: as the smoking experience moves into the final third it is real similar to the mid-point notes.  If you don’t smoke it too fast the tobacco notes are rich, creamy, and smooth.  I have been smoking this big boy for two hours and I still have an inch to go.  Slow and easy – just how I like it!  Smoking this cigar that is, well what you were thinking is also good ‘slow and easy.’ See smoking a cigar is like sex.  

My Strength Rating: 7.5 – fine complexities, smooth texture, firm body weight, and an overall wonderful smoking experience. 


The Ale


La Chouffe
Artisanal Belgian Golden Ale Brewed with Spice
8% abv
1pt 9.4oz bottle
$12.00 a bottle
Brasserie D’Achouffe
Belgium

Appearance: I’ll tell you it is hard not to pour a two finger head with a Belgian beer.  A beautiful two finger white shaving cream head and this baby has staying power.  A nice fuzzy golden body color.  When I got to the bottom of the glass there was still a thin layer of head and tons of lacing on the glass. 

Aroma: Belgian yeast, touch of coriander spice, fairly pleasing bouquet.

Flavors: the coriander is soft and pleasing, the English Golding and Saaz hops are rich and mild, the pilsner malts are sweet yet well balanced, sweet herbal likeness.

Halfway through the bottle the sweet spices seem like a touch of cinnamon and a hint of clove.  The nose of coriander is maintained but as the glass is moved away there seems to be some other sweet spices on the palate. 

Mouthfeel: the acidity and bitterness is low, sweet grassy linger note, light, smooth and oily texture.  The ale seems to have a flat champagne carbonation feel.  Come to think of it … it has a flat champagne like taste at times.  Since it is not champagne that is okay. 

My Strength Rating: 4/3.5 – I have never had this ale before but, I find it very pleasing and interesting. 

To the Point: I don’t think I can give it an A but, an A- or B+, let’s call it 90%, right on the edge.  This would be perfect for a hot summer day … if summer ever gets here this year. 


The Pairing

This is great to me tonight.  It is not too heavy or overbearing.  The ale seems to have a soothing effect on the cigar.  The soft coriander and sweet herbal notes mix well with the woody notes of oak and sweet cedar from the cigar.  The light sweet malts and yeast of the La Chouffe play fairly with the earthy coffee profile of the cigar.

No comments:

Post a Comment