Like It

Monday, March 22, 2010

Petrus Triple Ale & Gurkha Empire Series Cigars

March Matching – The Contest
First Bracket

Right off the opening tip off there is a big foul. The Empire I that I selected is plugged and rock hard and yes this is dirty talk in cigar language. Back to the humidor for another cigar, perfect draw and solid flavors from this new one. The balance of sweet and earthy notes from the cigar works well with the bitterness and sweetness of the ale. I’ll give this cigar a 5 rating on strength for now. I really like this with the Petrus.

The Empire VI has a perfect draw and goes on a scoring run right after tip off. The coffee and cocoa notes are nice with the ale. This is definitely a medium to full flavored cigar. I am rating it a 6.5 for now. The roasty notes start to build and kicks it to the fuller side. I really like this cigar but, for matching it to the Petrus Triple Ale, it does not maximize my experience. The Empire I take the first bracket.


Second Bracket

The Empire II is a very handsome looking cigar. Nice sheen from the oils on the wrapper, just like the hair on some basketball coaches. This cigar had game time written all over it in the first 10 minutes. The Cuban-like sweetness was coming thru with nice earth tones coming off the bench. After 10 minutes I was left with the bench players playing. Not enough to win the game here. I’ll give it a 4.5 strength rating.

The Empire IV lit up the court right off the bat. After a few puffs, wow, this cigar converts on the fast break. The Brazilian wrapper gives it a wonderful smoke and the meaty and rich ligeros tobaccos are flavorful. The first 10 minutes was a battle as I expected. Both cigars matched well with the Petrus Ale. But, the IV had the depth to go the distance to take the game away from the odds on favorite. I am planning a filet mignon dinner with this ale and this cigar! This was an excellent matching.


Third Bracket

Well Johnny, I am not speaking Dutch here, this should be a classic. We have two mild-medium bodied cigars being matched up to an Ale that is ‘mild and easygoing.’ If you want a delicious and refreshing triple pick up a 750 ml bottle of Petrus, right! (Commercial break)
(nothing subliminal here: pick up two bottles)

The Empire III is a good looking Costa Rican Madura wrapped cigar. It lights up well and the first inch of the cigar I am thinking – MILD? – not me, I am going medium bodied here. A straight out 5 rating for me, today. As I smoke the cigar to half time the intensity does not build and this is a good thing. I am enjoying all my flavors of the cigar and the ale. The puff of the cigar makes me want another drink of the ale. Then, the refreshing taste of the ale makes me want to taste the cigar again.

The Empire V has a beautiful Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper that coats this cigar. It looks like one of those expensive suits some of those coaches wear. The mildness of the cigar is detected right away and the flavors are very nice. In the first inch of the cigar I am thinking a 4 rating and I could go to a 3 strength rating, let’s see as this cigar develops.
This is going to be a tough matching; I think my pre-game odds were pretty good here. Both cigars have the game to go well with the Petrus Triple Ale. I think the cigar smoker who enjoys a cigar on the milder side of medium would like the Empire V with this ale. Both have a smooth mouthfeel to them.
This was a classic; I smoked the cigars down to the nub. The flavors of the III make me want more ale and the ale cleans the palate and I am ready for another puff of that cigar. The #III maximized my pleasure but, it was a fight to the finish.
The Final Round Analysis will be posted later this week. So, pick yourself up a bottle of Petrus Triple Ale, fill the chalice and stay tuned for the final dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment