Like It

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chronic Cellars 2009 Purple Paradise and Indian Tabac Limited Reserve Bison: Review

The Wine
Chronic Cellars 2009 Purple Paradise
14.5% abv
Chronic Cellars
Paso Robles, California, USA
95% Zinfandel, 5% Petite Sirah
My Strength Rating: 4

This wine pours an attractive ruby color, deep ruby with big lighter ruby highlights.

As the wine smoothly glides across the tongue I detect sweet summertime red berries with a twist of vanilla.  Right now I am thinking of a big bowl of vanilla ice cream with big ripe strawberries for some reason. 

As I pour myself a second glass of this tasty little treat the wine starts to open.  The strawberry presence is still tasty with that nice vanilla twist.  But, now I start to notice a bit of a spice note.  I continue my research with a few more sips of the wine and I think I am going to call it a mild pink peppercorn taste and this taste is on the back of the palate. 

The Cigar
Indian Tabac Limited Reserve Bison
Wrapper: Conn. Seed Ecuadorian
Filler: Honduran
Size: 6.5 x 54 Pyramid shape
My Strength Rating: 2
The Limited Reserve line-up is truly velvety smooth in its delivery and this size is just that; it is a smooth and mild smoke with a slight cedar profile.  While I enjoy the big bold flavored cigars I have to admit that I always like to come back to this cigar for a good quality mild cigar. 

This cigar always burns perfectly with a good looking salt and pepper colored ash that holds well.  The mouthfeel is always velvety smooth. 
Since this is my last one I think I’ll get online to order some more.

The Pairing
This is a smooth and mellow pairing.  I was ready to pick up a big bold stogie out of the humidor but I saw this and said, ‘it is time to smoke this last stick.’  I am sure glad I did.  I have never had this wine before and I did not know it was on the mild side of medium and this made it the perfect fit for this cigar.  A bolder cigar would have interfered with the supple red berry flavors of this tasty wine. 

The mild cedar wood taste of the cigar is a good complement to the red berries and vanilla profile of this Zinfandel.

No comments:

Post a Comment