Like It

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Cigar Review: Olde World Reserve Toro Maduro

Happy New Year!

Olde World Reserve Toro Maduro

Wrapper: Costa Rica Maduro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Size: 6.5 x 52 Toro
My Strength Rating: 6 due to the dry leathery texture

Now, this is the way to enjoy the last regular session game of NFL football.

I remember when these things hit the market. The store that I go to, Trader Tom’s, she could not keep them in stock. I was never that thrilled. I did try them. I do smoke one here and there. But, for the money I thought they were just okay. Throw the money factor out and they are good. Here in Michigan they run around $12.00 a stick. I bought these about 6 or 8 months ago so I don’t have the actual price.

Off the light; the first half an inch has an earthy coffee taste with some spice hitting the back of my palate. The smoke has some weight on the tongue during the start of the cigar. The taste is actually questionable during this start as in not that tasty. Maybe the cigar picked up some of that paper taste that is wrapped around the end. No, I did not light the cigar with that paper on the cigar. They say you can do so, but I have never done so and don’t ever plan to do so – not even for research purposes.

The taste did improve after that first half an inch. The coffee taste (espresso like) was clearer and the earthy note distinguished itself like a rich soil taste. This taste maintained that medium-full body weight on the tongue. At times I think I get a walnut shell taste. I feel the cigar has a nice robust quality. Yet, it still has a fairly smooth but, dry mouthfeel with a leathery texture.

To the point: espresso like, rich soil, dry cocoa powder, and dry leathery texture.

I pour myself a cup of Biggby French Roast Coffee. This really helps the overall taste of the cigar. I would recommend smoking this cigar with a bold cup of coffee. It helps to minimize the dry mouthfeel.

I am planning to smoke the second half of this cigar with a glass of red wine.

As I approach the halfway point the espresso like quality and rich soil tastes are still present. There seems to be a nice undertone of dry cocoa powder.

The Wine
Justin Isosceles 2006
86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot - unfiltered
Justinwine.com
See the full review: winepostings2

Flavors: Dark cherry, red and black currants, a soft blackberry note, an undertone of tasty vanilla-mocha with a touch of sweet caramel. Overall, one yummy tasting wine the way it covers the mouth in berry delight.

The Pairing
This is better than the coffee pairing. The berry profile of the wine just comingles with the earthy and coffee notes of the cigar for a tasty experience. The solid mocha taste of the wine helps the dry cocoa powdery note of the cigar. The wine also helps that dry leathery mouthfeel of the cigar. The cigar is not as dry and the focus is more on the semi-smooth texture.

Overview of the cigar: As for the cigar by itself, it is just okay. This cigar sure needs a good quality beverage to help bring out its taste. A full dark roast coffee or a bold red wine, with some complexity, and you are set.


No comments:

Post a Comment