Like It

Monday, May 31, 2010

Indian Tabac Limited Reserve Bear & Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen

The Beer
Appearance: Dark brown body while it was sitting on the bar - when held to the light you get a nice mahogany color. The head is an off-white color that does not hang around too long. Didn't see much lacing if any.

Smell: Real hickory smoked ham hocks. And then more smoke. I could not go with average. It's not average - it's smoked beer. So, the smell did not make me think weizen beer.

Taste: SMOKE! I'll have to drink this while I cook up some ribs. Smoked spice, smoky head on the nose while drinking, smoked malts, there has to be hops for that bitter sour note so, smoked hops, and smoke on the water. It is smoky.

Mouthfeel: I liked the fine carbonation and the slight creamy texture but, they are soon taken away by the smoky profile and roasty undertones. Then the watery style hits the back of the palate to help clean up a little bit except you are left with SMOKE damage on the after taste.

Personally I do not think it is that drinkable. One and done. You should try it. I have had it before when I was out for dinner. And, I bought it again - only one bottle but, I still bought it. I'll wait till summer and when I put those ribs on the grill - I'll make sure I try it one more time. Maybe with BBQ food I'll like it a little more. I have to say, the taste is unique.

What really bothers me about this beer is the smell – ok I don’t like my beer to smell like BBQ smoke, the taste was unique but, I can’t decide if I like it a little or dislike it a little. The mouthfeel I’ll go with the dislike a little. So, for my strength rating I am up in the air as well. The smoky taste and aftertaste makes me think of a 6. Lack of real complexity does not help and that watery mouthfeel makes me want to go to a 4 or 4.5. See what I mean. So, I’ll call it a 5 – who cares!

The Cigar
Indian Tabac Limited Reserve Bear
Wrapper: Conn. Seed Ecuadorian
Filler: Honduran
Size: 5 x 50
Strength rating: 2.5

This is a smooth mild smoke with a slight cedar profile. That is about it – this cigar is not complex at all. This is a good morning cigar or good to have with lunch. This cigar will not impede on the flavors you are consuming. The other time for the cigar is when you have had your max but, you want one more. I have used this cigar for just that many a times. This was a good cigar to pair up with this overly BBQ Smoked up beer. The flavor profile of this cigar, or lack of, did not interfere with this beer. I wonder what would happen if you paired up a stronger cigar with this beer? I let you tell me that.

No comments:

Post a Comment