Like It

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Rothchilde and Affligem Blond Ale: Review

The Cigar
Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Rothchilde Tubo
Wrapper: Ecuadorian grown Connecticut Shade
Filler: Nicaraguan and Dominican
Size: 5 x 50
My Strength Rating: 4.5/5
Good looking packaging on this cigar. I usually do not buy a lot of cigars in tubes. They tend to be smaller in ring gauge and prefer larger ring gauges. But, I saw this at the store and thought I have not had this line in a long time nor have I had this tubo before.

The taste has good wood and earth notes along with some spice are at the core. There is a dry tobacco texture to this cigar. I think it is the dryness to the mouthfeel that I usually find this cigar uninteresting. Let’s see if a good blond will do this cigar some justice.

The Ale
Affligem Blond Ale
6.8% abv.
11.2oz. bottle.
From: Belgium
Affligem is the oldest abbey in Flanders, Belgium.

Nice looking golden color with a fluffy head and some lacing on the glass. Nice summertime tropical like fruits dipped in honey. There is a good grainy and herbal taste with a little peppery spice to give the ale some character. This is no foo foo blond, this blond has it going on. You will want to experience the firm body of flavors this blond has to offer. I am going to give this a 5.5 on my strength scale. I could even go to 6 on the scale.

As you sip this ale think of what you like best.
Is it the honey and fruits?
Is it the grainy and little peppery taste?
Is it the herbal and slight bitter bite?
Then the carbonation seems to swirl them all together.

The Pairing
The dryness of the cigar seems to bring out the dry quality of this ale. The flavor profile of the cigar tends to override the sweet malts which, brings out the spice and pepper a bit. The carbonation of the ale is not enough to refresh the palate with this cigar. I am going to have to give an ‘ok’ rating.

To help this cigar I think I might have to go to a sweeter profile with a bit of a watery edge and some good carbonation to refresh the palate.

To help pair with this ale I am thinking a sweet maduro with a medium to medium-full strength rating or even a Cameroon with a nice nutty and medium body profile.

These two are boring together.

No comments:

Post a Comment