Like It

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Gurkha Empire Series I: Review


Wrapper: Honduran Habano
Fillers: ligeros fillers from Nicaragua and Peru
Size: 5.5 x 52

Sweet, earthy, touch of pepper
Back on March 22 of 2010 I did a fun review of the Gurkha Empire Series in my March Matching format.  I paired each of the cigars in this line-up with an Ale (Petrus Gouden) and the idea was to see which cigar paired up the best with this Ale.  See March Matching Post.

Since then, a year later, I still had some of these cigars left from that writing and I started to write a full review on each. 
(click on the name below to see posting)
So, I am finally finishing this line-up. 

Off the Light: How funny is this – it is plugged up.  The draw is as tight as can be.  The same reason it got kicked out of the final round of the March Matching Contest. In the first round I had a plugged one and I had to get a second one to smoke.  (Obviously a construction problem with that batch) The draw has opened up a bit, it is still firm, but not as the first ¼ inch.  This is draw where you have to puff so much to get any smoke that you miss the actual flavor experience and you get a head ache. 

Pass that ¼ inch mark I start to notice a mild-medium earthy style and a touch of sweet tobacco.  I am trying to remind myself to puff at a slower rate to work with this very firm draw. The best I can tell the smoke is a 4 on my strength scale. 

Well, I am going to break this down into halves instead of thirds.  There is not much going on here except the draw.  And, because of the draw this is burning really slow.  I hope I don’t fall asleep before the halfway point.

Second Half: finally got there.  A pretty simple cigar.  A nice earthy style.  I could even call it earthy coffee style.  Other than that nothing else.  The draw is still a little firm not as bad as the first half. 

My Strength Rating: 4

To the Point: I know I will never buy another one.  3 out of 4 cigars plugged.  Do I need to say more.   

No comments:

Post a Comment