Like It

Friday, February 5, 2010

Warm the Chill with Petrus Winter Ale and Gurkha Blue Steel Cigar


The Cigar
Wrapper: Costa Rican Maduro
Binder: ? – does anybody know?
Fillers: Nicaraguan, Honduran, Columbian
Size: 5 x 52

This is not a complex cigar. I like the cigar. If I had to grade it I would have to go with a B or B+. I would not pay much for this cigar – 4 bucks maybe 4.50. The toasty notes are good, the coffee is medium-mild and the woody character I could not call it ‘sweet cedar,’ maybe a mild pecan wood. The cigar holds a nice ash and burns well all the way through. I give this cigar a 5 rating for now for that is how it feels with this ale. (see the “point system” posting)

The Beer
The aroma is light. The beer has a little tart green apple taste and spice working nicely with the malty sweetness. It has a dry finish that does not leave an aftertaste on the palate. The carbonation will play with the taste buds. I don’t get the full body feel that I would like to get from a winter ale. I would give this a 4 rating on my strength scale.

The two work good together. I got to enjoy the flavors from both. Neither one helped out the other - so to say. The carbonation helped to clean the palate from the cigar. I think it was this effect that kept the cigar from building in body. With this ale being high in carbonation it would be a good ale to drink after a meal to help with digestion.


I am not going to write this down as a must pairing. I think going to the fuller side of the ale with a complex cigar may work or maybe to the milder side with a nice nutty or chocolaty flavor to go with the nice tart green apple notes from the ale. Stay tuned – I’ll experiment.

Read Warm the Chill Series
Click here

Sol Cubano Salomon
Padilla 68 Golden Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment