Like It

Friday, January 29, 2010

A Cigar and Ale Pairing: Piraat Ale and Hemingway Classic

Piraat Ale – The Hunt - First Day

Piraat Ale Notes
The 10.5% abv warms the palate but, does not stand out in the taste so, be careful. The tropical fruit and faint malty sweetness works with the grassy-hoppy slight bitterness. Sorry hop heads – it’s not your IPA. These nice sharp edges should go good with my Drunken Goat Cheese that I plan to eat with this ale. Now, it tastes like nothing at all??? – oops the chalice is empty. I always enjoy this ale but, when the chalice is full. I always want to rate this ale a 6 when it on the cold side but, as it warms the complexities build and I always think it could go to a 7 because of the wonderful notes at this temperature.

Fuente Hemingway Classic
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder: Domincan Republic
Filler: Dominican
Size: 7 x 48
Rating: 92
Michigan price: $10.00



First note – It is in the top 25 cigars of the year, reaching #7, according to Cigar Aficionado Magazine (Feb. 2010). One word from me, overrated. Don’t get me wrong, I use to love this cigar back in the 90’s. They, describe it as complex, orange peel, cedar and coffee. So, that little spice note that I notice must be the orange peel, never thought of that. I don’t get the coffee but, the smooth cedar notes are nice and I think of mild almond nutty notes. I have never thought of this cigar as complex. I always described it as elegant. If, you want a smooth elegant smoke with nice flavors of cedar and mild almond, that is on the mild side of medium, then this is for you. I have always rated this a 4 on my strength scale.

I really enjoyed this cigar with the Piraat Ale. I get to enjoy all the flavors of the ale while I enjoy all the goodness of the Hemingway Classic. If you are looking for a classic matching this is just right in my book. The cigar is allowing me to enjoy the complexities of this ale. Write this one down for that special night. If you are going out for fine dining or preparing that fine meal at home this is the pairing you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment