Like It

Monday, November 1, 2010

Diamond Crown Maximus #4 and Samuel Smith’s Old Brewery Pale Ale


The Beer
5% abv
550ml bottle
Sam’l Smith’s Old Brewery
North Yorks, England
My Strength Rating: 4

Appearance: amber in color with an off-white head.
Aroma: sweet with a touch of fruit
Taste: Uhm?... Pale ale? ... Muted fruitiness that is slightly sweet with some mild hop bitterness. There is a biscuit like quality that mingles with a grainy texture and a light earthy feel. Not what I expected but, I think I do like the ale.
Mouthfeel: the fine carbonation tingles the tongue and to me it is a mild to medium bodied ale.

The Cigar

Wrapper: Ecuadorian El Bajo Sun Grown
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dom. Rep.
Size: 6 x 50
My Strength Rating: 4.5

This top shelf cigar has a nice nutty taste but I can’t make up my mind if its pecan or walnut. I think it is a little of both. There is an earthy mild coffee like profile. On the aftertaste there is a mild herb spice almost moss like note left on my palate. The texture is smooth yet robust for a medium bodied smoke. I use to like this stick a lot. I still like it but, it is too pricy (in Michigan around 14 bucks). There are just as good for far less. It’s just a nice treat once in a while.

The Pairing

The strength ratings are within range for a good pairing and the taste profiles should match up well. And, they do. The nice nutty profile of the cigar mixes well with the faint fruitiness and slightly sweet malts of the ale. The earthy qualities of each play well off each other. This is a solid pairing

No comments:

Post a Comment