Like It

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Romeo y Julieta Aniversario Robusto Cigar & Black Monday Stout

Sullivan’s Black Forest Black Monday Stout


So, after a few HB beers at the Volksfest upstairs at the Brew Haus, I ventured back down to the bar to have another glass of the Black Monday Stout. I brought a Romeo y Julieta Aniversario Robusto Cigar with me for the night, probably one of the last times I’ll be in a bar and still be able to smoke a cigar in the State of Michigan. It was not the perfect pairing for this stout but, it was the smallest cigar I had with me.

The Cigar
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan, Peruvian
Size: 5 x 52
Strength Rating: 5.5
A solid earthy profile that has plenty of cedary notes and spice. While drinking this stout it seemed more like spice and light pepper notes from the cigar. The cedary notes probably took a back seat to the hops from the stout. I didn’t care for this pairing. The spicy profile from the cigar didn’t help while drinking this bold but smooth coffee and chocolate stout. And, I don’t think of this cigar as a bold spicy smoke but, that is how they mixed tonight. The stout was still very enjoyable. The strong coffee and dark chocolate creamy body was just plain yummy. I’ll be buying a growler to head home with and pair this up with a cigar that has a nice coffee profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment