Like It

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ Natural and Detroit Red Wing 2007 Merlot: Cigar and Wine Pairing

The Cigar

Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ Natural
This in a Nicaraguan Puro
The wrapper is Nicaraguan Corojo
$13.50 in Michigan
Size: 6 x 54

Off the Light: light earth, woody, and a little nutty note off the first few puffs.  Then, a slight spicy note started to appear.  As I continued to smoke this stick past that first inch the spice started to really appear.  Black pepper and a solid woody note become the main profile. I can’t make up my mind on the wood; is it spicy cedar or a firm oaky note?  The strength rating for me is about 4.5 on the beginning.

Mid-point: As the cigar enters the mid-point I believe that woody note is oak.  It is a pleasing toasted oak at this point.  The black peppercorn taste has mellowed a bit to a green peppercorn note.  The earth profile has a forest floor style and there seems to be a dry coffee note. 

The texture is fairly smooth overall and the body is medium in style.  I am going to give it a 5 strength rating at the mid-point.

Down the Stretch: good earthy notes, smooth green peppercorn, seems like a toasty rye bread, nice oaky notes.  The cigar finishes with a good 5 strength rating.

The Wine

Detroit Red Wing 2007 Merlot
North Coast
13.8% abv
Cellared and Bottled by:
Wine World Estates
St. Helena and Napa, California, USA

Alright, I do not have much hope for this wine.  I seems gimmicky to me but, let’s give it a good review and see.  Plus, this is game 4 of the first round tonight.  What a good way to watch the game.  Go WINGS!

Appearance: rich ruby color

Aroma: currant, berry, and a hint of alcohol spice

Flavors: dark berry like, black cherry, hint of green peppercorn spice on the finish.

Mouthfeel: light, smooth in its delivery, touch thin, linger berry note

My Strength Rating: 4 and I could see 3.5.  The aroma is light, the flavors are smooth and mellow.  There is not much in texture or long lingering notes. 

Gimmicky?  No.  It’s not a bad wine.  A good restaurant wine to go with pizza, sandwiches and the like.  Good wine to serve at a party.  Maybe a Stanley Cup Party!!!

The Pairing

I did not plan these two.  I just bought this cigar yesterday at my favorite cigar store which is closing next month.  Thirty plus years in business and time to retire.  Good bye Trader Tom’s.  I am not a Don Pepin fan so; I just thought it was time to review one. 

This pairing is actually surprising me.  I thought maybe the spiciness would overwhelm this mellow Merlot.  These two are complementing each other well.  I get a good spicy smoke and a nice mellow berry taste from the wine.  I also think the cigar helps this wine some.  While smoking the cigar the wine seems to have a little more body than what it has while drinking it by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment