Like It

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rocky Patel Decade 10th Anniversary: Cigar Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Size: 6.5 x 52 Torpedo
My Strength Rating: 7.5 Medium-full
Rockypateldecade.com

Here is what they had to say on their web site, “The smoke has a rich and creamy texture with distinct notes of blackcherry and a nutty finish. Balanced and elegant.”

Two things I don’t get from this description ‘creamy’ and ‘elegant.’ Right off the light there are ample roasted tobacco notes with some spice.

Then during the first 3rd of the smoking experience I get a good toasted rye bread note with a medium roast coffee and a white pepper like quality that tickles the tongue.

By mid-point I have a hard time finding the black cherry note. From a puff here and there I think maybe I could buy that description but, I get more of a cedary profile. There is an overall earthy quality that brings everything together. It is like I can taste the soil that the tobacco plants were grown in. Also, at mid-point the peppery notes build to fine grind black peppercorn character. So far my texture experience would have to be described as robust, rich, and hearty. I am thinking a good porterhouse steak would be a perfect match.

On the final 3rd of the smoke the lingering aftertaste is that of earth and pepper. The spice and cedar seem to tingle the sinuses. The peppery style continues and the rich roasted coffee notes thicken with each puff. The mouthfeel is meaty and the smoke is thick. The experience is never bitter, harsh or overpowering. It is during this final 3rd of the cigar I detect that black cherry tobacco taste.

Overall this is an excellent smoke. I always enjoy a quality medium-full cigar and this is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment