Like It

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Macanudo Cru Royale and Port Royal Export: Pairing


The Beer

Port Royal Export
Pilsner Style
Cerveceria Hondurena
Product of Honduras
12oz bottle
4.8% abv
Ingredients: Water, Barley Malt, Adjuncts and Hops

Appearance: typical clear gold pilsner color, the head is like shaving cream and stays around forever, globs of foam and lacing on the glass and they just don’t go away.

Aroma: boiled corn

Flavors: boiled over cooked corn, not overly sweet, a dull hop style to give some balance,

Mouthfeel: surprisingly a dull carbonation level,

My Strength Rating: 3.5 - smooth and let’s keep with this theme – dull

To the Point: cool looking packaging that makes you think you have something special but, you don’t – uhm, sounds like my life.  This beer needs to be ice cold.  Coming from my beer fridge is just not good enough on this warm 80 degree day.  In no time the beer warms up and is as boring as it can get.  Don’t get me wrong it is not nasty or bad – it is just dull and boring.  The head that stays around forever is pretty cool. 


The Cigar

Macanudo Cru Royale
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Fillers: Nicaraguan, Dominican, and Brazilian
$8.99 from Smoky’s of Northville

I have never had this cigar before but, when I went to the humidor to find a cigar to go with this beer well, the name said it all and I wanted a Royal or Royale treatment.  Let’s see how it reviews.

This Macanudo is very soft and somewhat spongy on the feel.  The overall strength is mild-medium so, I’ll give it a 4 on my strength scale.  Some may call it medium.  It has nice roasted tobacco notes and a pleasing earthy coffee style.  This cigar may go well with some IPA’s or a good cup of coffee.  The texture is fairly smooth with a lingering toasty aftertaste. 


The Pairing

This went fairly well.  Being a Macanudo I thought it would be on the mild side of medium and would be as full as I would like to go with this beer.  The beer did refresh the palate after puffing on this fine cigar.  Overall, an uneventful pairing.  The beer was just too … dull.  


No comments:

Post a Comment