Like It

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Nica Libre 1990 Principe and Southern Tier Choklat Stout: Review

The Cigar

Nica Libre 1990 Principe
Wrapper: San Andres Maduro
Binder: Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: 4.5x46 box press
My Strength Rating: 4.5

Let’s get it straight, I have smoked a few of these Principes from the sample pack and this is my last one of this size and thank God.  I don’t like this size.  It comes across as dry and boring and tastes like a cheap Nicaraguan cigar from the 1990’s.  Let me open my mind and review this last one.

Okay, this cigar is going to need big time help.  So, today’s pairing is Souther Tier Imperial Choklat Stout.  A damn good stout too bad I am smoking this cigar.  Oops – open minded – yes I am.

Off the Light:  Dry soil earthiness abounds.  No name brand coffee likeness.  I don’t even like the smoke blowing in my face! 

Is it just this stick?  Is it this useless size – 46 ring gauge?  I really don’t like too many cigars 48 and under.  They burn warmer than the bigger ring gauges and the flavor lacks in comparison as well. 

Let’s introduce the stout at this point. 

Southern Tier Choklat Stout has a black body and a rich dark tan head.  This 11% abv stout has a rich deep dark chocolate nose that makes you want to bite the rim of the glass while you are smelling this stout.  The aroma even has a creamy style. 

The flavors are wonderful.  This is a quality chocolate stout.  If you want to compare chocolate stouts for quality this is your template.  They use bittersweet Belgian chocolate in the brewing process and it shows up on the palate.  This is a chocolate lovers dream (if you like beer that is).  The caramel barley, chocolate malts, and the Belgian Chocolate combine for one tasty treat. 

This 650 ml bottle will run you around $8.00 a bottle and it is worth every penny. 

Recommendation:  Run to the store today and pick up two bottles! 

Back to the cigar and beverage pairing. 

This stout can’t even help this little baby cigar.  I was hoping that this cigar would pick up on its flavor with this tasty stout. 

The stout seems to control the dryness of the cigar a bit.  This cigar is just too boring for me.  Thank God this is the last one!

Some people say there is no such thing as a bad cigar if it is free.  Yes there is.  I would turn this one down all day long.  

Let me pair this wonderful stout up with a good cigar.

No comments:

Post a Comment