Like It

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nica Libre Torpedo: Cigar Review

Wrapper: San Andres Maduro
Binder: Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: 6 x 52
My Strength Rating: 6

“Padron Cigars Competition” as it is promoted. Personally I don’t think the Big Wigs at Padron had an emergency meeting on how to fight the competition here.

Last year I picked up a sampler pack to see how this cigar smoked and I was not impressed. All I remember it was dry and boring. So, let’s give it a whirl to check out its flavor profile.

Right off the bat it has some intensity. Strong burnt coffee notes upfront and black pepper on the after taste. The first inch to me is full; reaching a hearty 7 strength rating. But, I could not call it ‘rich,’ it is more like ‘dry’ tobacco. It smokes like a cheap Nicaraguan cigar.

The cigar does settle down to a medium profile. It has an earthy and roasted coffee style. The cigar holds a nice gray ash that gives off some nice gray smoke.

I believe this cigar needs a good beverage to refresh the palate and today I have a good cup of coffee going.

By mid-point of the cigar I have to say, ‘not bad.’ As I approach the final third of the cigar it is pretty much the same dry earthy coffee style.

As I finish the cigar I think it is too one dimensional with the dry tobacco profile. If you are in the market for a ‘cheap’ Nicaraguan this is it. But, there are too many good cigars out there to experience. Sorry, I didn’t smoke it down to the nub. I was just too bored with this stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment