Like It

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gurkha Empire Series IV and Wellington Arkell Best Bitter: Cigar and Beer Pairing

The Cigar

Gurkha Empire Series IV
Wrapper: Brazilian Arapiraca
Fillers: Nicaraguan, Dominican ligero tobaccos
Size: 5.5 x 52
$3.00 a stick on sale
My Strength Rating: 5

Off the Light: this cigar has some nice roasted notes working right off the bat.  Wood and earth notes mixed with some spice.  I thought it started off on the full side of medium and then after that first inch it started to move toward medium.

Mid-point: toasted oak, slightly roasted notes of forest floor and the spice has dissipated.  The mouthfeel is right around a 4 or 5 on my strength rating.  Not a complex flavor profile but, it is only $3 a stick.  I would not pay any more than three for this cigar. 

Down the Strecth: The Wife is calling – shit – I have to go. No real loss with this cigar.

The Beer

Wellington Arkell Best Bitter
4% abv
341 ml bottle
Wellington County Brewery, Inc.
Guelph, Ontario, Canada

On the six pack it says, “A refreshing Ale described as ‘the most flavourful light beer in Ontario.’”

Appearance: copper colored body with an egg-shell colored head.

Aroma: very faint grains and yeast

Flavors: grainy, grassy, dried floral, sourdough, stone mineral,
I have to say on my first few sips I was not impressed.  Then, I had to start thinking about what are the notes and the more I sampled it the more I started to like it.  It does not have the run of the mill flavors – oops, sorry that is flavours in Canadian. 

Mouthfeel: almost moderate carbonation, light off-dry feel, light watery edge, and very easy to drink.  This would be great to pair with a quality burger or my favorite a cigar.  This ale should have some good range to pair up any strength cigar and has some interesting flavors that should work with most cigars. 

My Strength Rating: 4


If you want something different it is an okay pick-up.  It is nothing to go out of your way to find. 

Let me grab a stogie because I am ready for the second beer.  I selected the Gurkha Empire IV.  I think the woody and earthy style should mingle well with this ale. 

The Pairing

This is a nice pairing.  Two nice average products at best.  The flavors work well with each other.  The ale refreshes the palate after a few puffs of the cigar.

No comments:

Post a Comment