Like It

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Don Pepin Series JJ Salomon and Skargaards Porter: Pairing

The Porter

Skargaards Porter
Porter Brewed with Honey
By: Norrebro Bryghus
Copenhagen, Denmark
6% abv
1pt 4.3oz bottle
$15.00 a bottle
On sale for $10.00

Appearance: black body with a strong foamy tan head.

Aroma: soft roasted malts on the nose

Flavors: Black tea comes to mind, soft pumpernickel bread, and pecan nuts.  As the beer warms some mild coffee kicks in with a smoky alder wood note.  I don’t notice any honey notes but, maybe it is mixed in with the slight sweet and toasted malts. 

Mouthfeel: smooth, not much carbonation, I don’t get any creamy feel, more watery but, not in a bad way.  Light bitterness lingers on the palate with some roasted grains and a dark chocolate feel.    

My Strength Rating: 6 the lingering bitterness brings this up to the six rating.

To the Point: not a bad Porter.  I am not going out of my way to buy another. 

The Cigar

Don Pepin Series JJ Salomon
This in a Nicaraguan Puro
The wrapper is Nicaraguan Corojo
Size: 7.25 x 57

Off the Light: light woody notes and soft soil earthy tones.  I am thinking a 3.5 or 4 on my strength scale.  As the cigar continues the earthy tones are pleasing and there is a soft peppery style that starts to build. 

Mid-point: The hard wood notes and soft soil earthy tones are still the main profile.  There is a hint of soft white pepper.  Not as peppery as the smaller sizes.  There is an undertone of mild roasted coffee.  I am thinking the strength is around a 4 on my strength scale; just on the light side of medium.

Down the Stretch: as the smoking experience comes around the final bend the woody notes are still present with the earthy notes building up in strength.  There are more roasted grainy notes at this point without being bitter or too strong.

The Pairing

Not a bad pairing.  There is nothing super special here in this pairing.  The woody notes and mild coffee play well with each other.  I think I could fall asleep during this pairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment