Like It

Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Cigar and Beer Review: Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Silver Edition Robusto and Leinenkugel’s Fireside Nut Brown

The Beer
Leinenkugel’s Fireside Nut Brown

4.9% abv
12 oz bottle
$7.50 a six pack
Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co.
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, USA
My Strength Rating: 4

This Nut Brown pours an attractive clear copper color with a fine off-white head. It sure is hard to even pour a one finger head with this beer. The aroma is very clean on this brew.

The notes are sweet caramel like with a pecan nutty and woodsy flavor. There are some hops mixed in to add a little bitter note. Unfortunately there is a big watery style. It is this watery profile that makes this an easy beer to drink.

This beer is always a puzzle to me. Sometimes it comes across too sweet and grassy and then other times it just goes down just fine. I have to admit that I buy this beer every winter and enjoy drinking it now and then. But, it is not what I would call a good Nut Brown. If I was into grading beers I would give it a C. But, I still comeback to it for some reason.

The Cigar
Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Silver Edition Robusto
Wrapper: Criollo ‘98’
Fillers: Costa Rica, Honduran, and Mexican
Size: 4.7 x 52 Robusto Corto
My Strength Rating: 4.5

I was thinking that a good Cameroon wrapped cigar would be nice with this beer but, I saw this cigar sitting front and center. This cigar does have a nutty like trait with some coffee so let’s give it a try.

Off the light I notice the smooth style of the mouthfeel. The flavor has a mild-medium coffee presence on the first couple of inches. At this point I start to notice a nutty and woody character.

That mild-medium coffee has changed to an earthy style at this point. Overall, the taste seems muted. If you are not thinking about the flavors it would be easy to overlook them. To me it comes across pretty simple. The flavors just don’t seem to stand out. As I continue to smoke the cigar I think the main profile is earthy. Earthy notes of: dusty soil and forest floor. The cigar is just an easy smoking medium bodied smoke. Nothing special.

The Pairing

This is the ‘Nothing Special’ pairing. The cigar seems to control the sweet style of the beer. Other than that, I think I can say, “It is a boring pairing.” I wish I chose a Cameroon cigar with a better nutty taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment