Like It

Saturday, April 7, 2012

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero 700 and Bombing Range Red 2006: Pairing

The Cigar

Time to revisit some old friends; I reviewed this cigar back in September of last year and the wine I reviewed two years ago.  I really like both of these and it is time to have these two friends meet.  I sure hope they get along. 

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero 700 
Wrapper: Dark Ecuadorian Sun Grown
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Size: 6.5 x 60
$10.00 Smoky’s in Northville, Michigan

The flavor profile of the cigar reminds me of dark roast coffee, hardwood, green peppercorn, rich mineral soil.  The aftertaste has a black peppercorn citrus bite and the texture is leather like.  My overall strength rating is an 8/8.5. 


The Wine

Bombing Range Red 2006 – Horse Heaven Hills
Prosser, Washington, USA
78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 8% Syrah, 4% Mourvedre
From their web site, mckinleysprings.com, the description says – Raspberry and blueberry jam aromas with violet and cinnamon. The taste is rich blackberry, mocha and currant.

If you are looking for a great value under $20.00 this is it. 

Appearance: almost black body with a ruby edge.

Aroma: big black berries with a touch of spice on the nose along with a deep smoky tobacco note,

Flavors: Those berries are just wonderful. The blackberry and blueberry profile is upfront along with the black currant. It is like you could spread this across your toast in the morning. Honestly, with every sip I think, ‘life is good,’ I love the berry taste.  There are also notes of mocha and smoke.  Two years ago I did not pick up the cinnamon but this time I notice a powdery cinnamon note – it is more on the finish to me so, the Mourvedre grape is showing up.  

Mouthfeel: to me this wine has a great jammy feel to the palate.  The berries linger on the aftertaste.  The complexity is decent. 


The Pairing

Last September, I thought this cigar made the wine that I paired it with seem like a little baby and it was a full bodied wine.  Let’s see how this wine holds up.

Oh, this wine is doing the trick with this full bodied cigar.  After a few puffs of the cigar the wines berry notes come through strong and the tasty mocha and dusty cinnamon is still in play.  The body of the Bombing Range Red did not weaken with this cigar like the wine I paired it with last year. 

This is a full bodied pairing so have water ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment