Like It

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Macanudo Vintage Maduro 1997 and Dogfish Head Chicory Stout: Pairing

The Stout

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout
Milton, Delaware, USA
5.2% abv

Here is what they say on the bottle: “A rich, dark brew smoothed out with a touch of roasted chicory and organic Mexican coffee.  Goodness beneath a bone white head.”

I have never brewed up some chicory before but, last year I did look for some so I could give it a try and I could not find it anywhere.  It is suppose too have a good coffee like flavor.  I have always thought it was ‘a poor-man’s coffee.’   I am still interested in find it and brewing some.  And, if it is cheaper than coffee, then great!  

Appearance: I am going with a two finger tan head.  It is as tan as tan can be.  Black as midnight body.  There is no sediment on the bottom of the bottle to worry about. 

Aroma: roasted grains and coffee.  As the beer warmed up I noticed a touch of chocolate on the nose. 

Flavors: smooth black coffee like tones.  Might be a hint of roasted grains and a touch of pumpernickel bread like quality. 

Mouthfeel: smooth and mild.  The carbonation is fine.  A bit thin with a watery edge; not what I expected out of a stout. It reminds me more of a brown ale.  

My Strength Rating: 4.5 – medium body at best to me.

To the Point: Not what I expected from a Dogfish brew.  The thin and watery mouthfeel just makes it uninteresting for a stout.  I do like the coffee flavor from this beer.  


The Cigar

Macanudo Vintage Maduro 1997
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
Fillers: Nicaraguan, Brazilian, and Dominican
Size: 6 x 54 Toro
Yes, that band is solid metal.

I smoked a couple of these in the past few weeks and enjoyed each one.  I’ll bet that every cigar guy said, ‘do I really want to try a Macanudo?’  Most of us think of them as too mild and for the beginner smoker.  I think this stick should pair up well with the Dogfish Head Chicory Stout but, they are almost alike in their taste profile.  Let’s see how it goes today. 

Off the Light: a nice medium bodied maduro style on the first few puffs.  As the smoke continues a rich mild-medium coffee note comes into play.  There is a pumpernickel or Russian bread like quality that swirls around a sweet maduro note.  I’ll give it a 4.5/5 on my strength scale for the first third.

The Pairing: This Chicory Stout is refreshing with this Macanudo Maduro.  Since this Stout drinks more like a Brown Ale to me the mouthfeel during this pairing is rather smooth overall.  This is like having an evening coffee to me.  The coffee flavors work well with each other.

Mid-Point: The coffee and dark bready style continues.  There is a light spice note that hit the palate that reminds me of a dash of white pepper on a rib eye steak.  A rich dark soil tone develops here in the late first third and into the mid-section of the cigar. 

The mouthfeel, of the cigar, is smooth and leaves some light toasted grains on the aftertaste.  While the cigar flavor profile is not complex it is a tasty smoke.  And, thinking of smoke this cigar has ample smoke that fills the room and your palate.  I’ll give this cigar a 5/5.5 on my strength scale here at the mid-point. 

The Pairing: this is an enjoyable pairing if you like coffee.  The texture is smooth and the taste is delicious.  This is a quality medium bodied experience. 

Down the Stretch: this cigar is consistent in its flavor profile.  The final third reminds me of the mid-point.  Rich black coffee and soil along with that dark bread quality. 

My Strength Rating: 5 – medium body smoke.

To the Point: don’t turn your nose up at this Macanudo for it is a quality smoking experience.   

No comments:

Post a Comment