Like It

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Carlos Torano Fortress Double Toro and Sanson 2008 Reserve Baco Noir: Cigar and Wine Pairing

The Wine

Sanson 2008 Reserve Baco Noir
12.5% abv
$25.00 Canadian

Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Sansonestatewinery.com
My Strength Rating: 4/4.5
Baco Noir is pronounced: BA-koh NWAHR

I can remember stopping by this winery back when they first opened up.  The wine was the usual start-up wine taste a little on the thin side.  Well, now is the time to stop on by this little winery.  I have sampled a few of their wines and I have enjoyed them.  I enjoyed the Bird Dog Red so much I went back and bought four more bottles. 


Appearance: Garnet with ruby crystal highlights

Aroma: plump big dark berry notes and a whiff of oak

Flavors: this is a fruit forward wine here for the taking.  Mulberry, touch of blueberry, hint of boysenberry, red currants, and sweet cedar.  The tannins are low, which it should be for a Baco, and the acidic level is pleasing, which can be high for a young Baco Noir.

Mouthfeel: light and lively feel on the palate.  The sweet berries linger for a spell on the palate.  There is a light edge

The Cigar

Carlos Torano Fortress Double Toro
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Rosado
Fillers: Nicaraguan, Peruvian, and Honduran
Size: 6 x 60

Off the Light: some nice spice plays on the palate and as it passes through the sinuses.  There is a forest floor earthiness to the start of this smoke.

As the smoke continues I think the spice reminds me of a pink peppercorn and black peppercorn mix.  The forest floor earthy tones are pleasing and there is a touch of sweet cedar in the mix.  There is also a good roasted tobacco and toasted grains on the palate. 

The mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth for these hearty flavors.  It’s not quit velvety nor is it wool like, so I call it flannel! 

Mid-Point: it is a continuation of the rich flavors that I experienced in the first third.  The only difference I think is the sweet cedar is more of a cedary note. 

Down the Stretch: at the top of the stretch the smoke is still smooth in its delivery.  Yes, still flannel like in feel.  The forest floor earthy tones are still tasty.  The spice notes of peppercorn have settled down.  The cedary note is still in play. The roasted tobacco and toasted grains are still present and have not become strong or bitter. 

I am smoking this big boy down to the nub.  As this cigar crosses the finish line it is a winner in my book. 

I bought two of these sticks and I am looking forward to smoking the second one.  I am thinking right now that I would buy more of these Fortress Double Toro Cigars. 




The Pairing

This cigar really brings out the body in this wine.  There seemed to be a light side to this wine when I enjoy it by itself, but with this cigar it seems a little fuller.  The cigar helps to accent the boysenberry and mulberry notes and controls the sweet cedar to a cedary note. 

This was an excellent pairing.  I really enjoyed the flavors of the wine and the cigar as they mingled together.
My Strength Rating: 6.5

Sanson Estate Winery

No comments:

Post a Comment