Like It

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Pleasant Side of Brugse Zot and CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon

Brugse Zot meets CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon

The Cigar
CAO L’Anniversaire Cameroon Robusto
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: 5 inches x 50 ring gauge
Strength rating: 4.5
This cigar, when it came out way back when, was very popular. I remember it was one of my favorites at the time. But, time goes by and you forget about an old friend. Not too long ago I decided it was time to revisit this old friend and I am glad I did. In general, I really like Cameroon wrapped cigars but, that would be hard to tell looking at my selection in the humidor, which is dominated by Maduro wrapped cigars.

The CAO Cameroon is a very attractive box pressed shaped cigar. The flavor profile is complex. There are a variety of notes and one could play the game of ‘what do you taste with this cigar.’ For me, I always like the nutty flavor of a Cameroon. This stick has some nice cedar spice, woody and earthy tones along with toast (sometimes a rye toast taste) and mild coffee notes.

The Brugs
Brugse is a 6% abv ale that pours a hazy golden color with a soft beige colored head. It leaves some nice lacing on the glass and the fine foam seems to be always present floating atop the ale. There is always nice sediment floating around that adds to the hazy look of this ale. That sediment is the living yeast that was added just before bottling – don’t worry, it is good for you. The aroma has a sweet bready nose. The taste can be on the complex side, with its sweet-sour taste with some nice spice, white pepper undertones and citrus flavors. The hops give me a nice grassy, spicy and lemon-like bitterness that is not overwhelming. The citrus profile tells me this would be a good blond to enjoy on a summer day. The sweetness mingles well, letting me know that the malts are doing their job too.

The Pairing
I already had the cigar lit to establish the taste of cigar. The first few puffs were soft and mellow and then wham! The cedar and spice hits the palate. Then, after the first inch, the cigar starts to calm down and that was the time to pour the ale. On the first sip, Ahhhh – refreshing! And, I did say that out loud.

The cedar and other woody notes of the cigar seem to mellow the ‘slight’ bitter or sour notes of the ale. The earthy, nutty and toasty notes play well with the malty sweetness. Overall this is a very pleasant pairing. The fine carbonation and the soft watery edge to the mouthfeel of the Brugse Zot refreshes the palate and prepares me for another puff of this premium cigar. So, the interplay between the cigar and the taste profile of this Belgian ale works.

No comments:

Post a Comment