Like It

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Cain Maduro Double Toro and Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: Pairing


The Wine

Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
Caymus Vineyards
Napa Valley
Rutherford, California, USA
15.2% abv

Appearance: a very pretty dark purple

Aroma: dark berries; blackberry dominates, nice oak and brown spice

Flavors: dark berries; black currants, black plum, and let’s throw in a little black cherry.  Then there is a swirl of vanilla-caramel-oak in the mix here on the first glass.  A touch of tart cranberry on the finish.

Mouthfeel: smooth and supple texture.  The sweet notes hit the front and then a touch of spice in the mid and then a light tartness on the finish.  A long linger aftertaste of dark berries and a light touch of vanilla. 

To the Point:  I have to say on the first two or three sips I was a little concerned.  The vanilla-caramel note was smack in my face and the rest of the flavors seemed to be hiding in the background.  After swirling the glass for a minute or two I must have called all the flavors to order. 

So, decant this bottle for a little bit and the flavors should all be inline and ready to enjoy. 


The Cigar

Cain Maduro Double Toro
Straight Ligero

Wrapper: Maduro
Fillers: Nicaragua: Esteli, Condega, and Jalapa
Size: 6 x 60
$9.75 they may be more now in Michigan for this stick has been in the humidor for a long time – 2 or 3 years. 

Flavor Profile: this is one hearty cigar.  If you like a robust smoking experience this should fit the bill.  Deep dark soil and hardwood notes dominate.  There is a good dose of coffee grounds and a solid peppery spice. 

I have more of these Cain’s in my humidor somewhere.  I’ll have to do a little digging around and find them to enjoy them.  The only problem with having about 800 cigars in a humidor – you lose track of some of them. 


The Pairing

I thought this cigar would complement this wine and it does.  The wine has that vanilla-caramel-oak swirling around the dark berries and the cigar has the firm earthy tones and peppery spice. 

I was thinking that I would pair a more elegant style of cigar with the Caymus Cabernet but, that would have been too easy.  I wanted to test the upper limits of a bold cigar with this wine and I am glad I did.  Did it maximize my tasting experience?  Well, probably not.  But, it is damn good anyways. 

I think this cigar has brought out the brown spice in the wine.  The vanilla-caramel note is more of an undertone now and the oak has come forward a bit.  


No comments:

Post a Comment