Like It

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Punch Gran Puro Sesenta and Bear Republic XP Pale Ale: Pairing

The Cigar

Punch Gran Puro Sesenta

Honduran Puro
Wrapper from San Agustin Valley
With sungrown binder and filler tobaccos
Size: 6.2 x 60
$8.25 in Michigan

Off the Light: Nice dose of peppery spice and hardwood.  As the smoke continued the peppery spice settled and earth notes dominated. 

Mid-Point: nice soil earthy tones, classic tobacco quality smoking experience.  Damn, I just like a quality ‘old school’ style smoke once and a while.  I guess that is why I like this big boy. 

Down the Stretch: the earthy tones are still the main profile.  There seems to be a bit of spice coming onto the scene at the top of the stretch.  Like a dusty brown spice with a touch of musty white pepper.

As the cigar nears the finish line the earthy tones are hearty, there is a slight bitterness and there is a dusting of white pepper. 

My Strength Rating: 6


The Ale

Bear Republic XP Pale Ale
5.5% abv
1pt 6oz bottle
$5.50 a bottle
Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Healdsburg, California, USA


Appearance: a shiny golden copper tone with nice clarity and an off white foamy head that leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. 

Aroma: faint nose, yeasty yes, otherwise it is uneventful. 

Flavors: flavors seem light and hard to distinguish.  Notes of grains, grassy hops, slight bitterness, good earthy quality and the malts must be doing their job for the ale seems balanced.  A strange one to review.  Let me just enjoy. 

Okay, on that ‘just enjoy’ level, it’s a pleasing pale ale.  Nothing strong, nothing outstanding, to me nothing interesting from this ale.  I was expecting more since I really liked their Racer 5 IPA.  This one does not light my fire.  Well, in a matter of fact it does not even light the match to light the fire. 

Mouthfeel: low carbonation, strange lingering slightly bitter note that reminds me of a citrus rind. 

My Strength Rating: 6 – a pool of non-descript and muted flavors. 

To the Point: I could care less for this ale.  But, on Beer Advocate, 360 reviewers averaged out for a B+ on this ale.  What do you think? 

The Pairing

On the first third of the cigar I was so busy trying to figure this beer out it I did not really think about how they were matching up. 

The earthy quality of each matches well.  And then, the other rather non-descript flavors of the ale, thank god, did not really interfere with the cigar. 

This ale was not a good pairing with this cigar.  And, I can blame it on the ale for I know I like this cigar.  I’ll be doing another pairing with the Punch Sesenta.

No comments:

Post a Comment