Like It

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Fuente Hemingway Work of Art and Troubadour Obscura Mild Stout: Review


This Mild Stout needs a classy buddy and this is it, the Cameroon wrapped Work of Art, a small 4.7 x 60 perfecto. I have always described the Hemingway line as an elegant smoke. A wonderful cedar and almond like nutty flavor. This cigar gives you a clean smoking experience, what I mean is that it does not coat the palate with all kinds of heavy spice, bitter chocolate or other notes that the bold fuller flavored cigars offer. Now, I love my medium-full to full cigars but, it sure is nice to have a break and pull out a true cigar classic like a Hemingway to delight the palate.

I experimented earlier today pairing this mild stout with a full bodied cigar. The stout did mellow the black pepper and spirited spices of the cigar but, the cigar did nothing to enhance the experience of the stout. The stout was missing its nice flavor profile because of the cigar.


Focusing on the flavor profile of the stout, I experience a nice creamy roasted malt character along with some mild coffee and dark fruitiness undertones when drinking this mild stout. Oh yes, there is a nice bitterness as well. I thought the fuller cigar would possibly bring those notes up and it did not. So, I am going for an RBI here (almost baseball season) by selecting the Work of Art.

The Pairing

This time I am focusing on the word description, of the mild stout, that I wrote on that earlier posting – smooth, smooth and smooth. The Hemingway is also, smooth. These two are working well together. It is one of those pairings were they let each other do their job. I am enjoying that great cedar flavor that the Hemingway’s deliver. And, my palate is clean and prepared for the wonderful mild flavors of the Troubadour Obscura. This is a winner. I am going to plan to have this with dinner some time soon. I think I might do it up with lamb chops?

No comments:

Post a Comment