Like It

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #1 and Duckhorn Sauvignon Blanc 2009: Pairing

The Wine

Duckhorn Sauvignon Blanc 2009
Duckhorn Vineyards
Napa Valley
St. Helena, California, USA
Duckhorn.com
$29.00 The Fine Wine Source (Livonia, MI)

Appearance: light straw

Aroma: light and fresh summer fruit

Flavors: wonderful mixture of tropical and citrus; tropical notes remind me of guava and papaya with a light squirt of citrus (not bitter).

Mouthfeel: crisp, fresh, and truly refreshing.  Has an elegant feel for a white wine. 

My Strength Rating: 2.5/3

There are not too many white wines that could hold up to this heat, did I say it was 92 – it is now 97, there are not too many white wines I like when they get warm.  And, yes reds have no chance in this heat.  That is why I don’t drink to many red wines in the summer.  But, remember I am not a big white wine drinker.  I think the point I want to make is the difference between some inexpensive (cheap) whites and some moderate to higher end whites.  The cheap ones seem to develop an unpleasant tasting note as they warm up.  So, the second point is keep em’ chilled!!!

One nice thing about this white wine is that as it warmed up (it’s 92 degrees out here) it did not develop any bitter or strange tasting notes. 

I am going to pair this Duckhorn with my favorite mild-medium cigar. 


The Cigar and Pairing

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #1
Wrapper: Connecticut Shade
Filler: Dom Rep., Hon., Nic.
Size: 7-1/4 x 54

Off the Light: toasted wheat bread.  As the smoke continues a little almond nut creeps onto the scene.  Then, the oak starts to show up.  3.5 on my strength scale for the first third. 

The Pairing: this is a perfect match so far.  The oak from the cigar mingles well with the tropical and touch of citrus from the wine. 

Mid-Point: toasted marble bread (wheat & rye), the nut taste is more walnut like, and the oak is the main profile to me.  The mouthfeel is mild-medium at best with a velvety smooth delivery.  On my strength scale I’ll go a 4. 

The Pairing: the idea behind this blog is to learn how to maximize your pleasure when pairing your cigar and beverage.  Well, to me this pairing is a clear winner.  On a hot summer day like this one – this is the perfect pairing to me.  After a few puffs of the cigar it is just a pleasure to take a sip of this delicious white wine. 

Down the Stretch: The toasty flavors are still pleasing, the roasted nutty flavor is still in the mix and the oak is just a touch fuller.  4.5 on my strength scale.

The Pairing: With the notes just a touch fuller on the cigar it seems to bring out the citrus note just a bit on the Sauvignon Blanc.  During this pairing I prefer to have a few puffs of the cigar and then a sip or two of the Duckhorn. 

This will go down as one of my favorite pairings.  Not just for white wine and cigar but, for pairings period (red wine and beers). 

Maximize your pleasure and try this pairing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment