Like It

Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Wine and Cigar Review: CAO Amazon Cigar and Midnight Cabernet Sauvignon

The Wine - Midnight Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 Nebula

This wine has a very dense dark body with a nice ruby color on the edges. It has a 14.2% abv. I selected this wine because it is from Paso Robles. Justin Winery and Liberty School are both from that region and I really like both of those Cabs.
The nose of this wine has a solid dark berry and spice profile. Right after opening the tannins are speaking. After a little time to breath the balance kicks in and the flavors come alive. The dark berries and cherry notes are yummy and mingle well with the spices and some oaky and vanilla oaky notes. This is a fuller bodied Cab. I am going to rate it a 7.5 on my strength scale. I could see an 8 but, the wine has such a nice finish of berry and plum that does not have that bitter bite of a strong blackberry. The earthy structure just coats the palate for a solid Cabernet Sauvignon taste.

This is a must buy. I would love to compare this to Justin Cabernet some day. This bottle cost me $18.00 at Everyday Wines in Ann Arbor.

I would recommend a big juicy steak on the grill with this wine.

The Cigar - CAO Amazon
Wrapper: Brazil
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Size: 6 x 60
My Strength Rating: 6.5/7
I really like this cigar with a fuller-bodied red wine. The Amazon has nice undertones of chocolate and coffee with some delicate spice. The earthy notes seem to be at the core of this cigar and that should match well with this wine. I also like the toasted cashew nut like notes. The smoke has a meaty quality as it fills your palate.


The Pairing
This is a great pairing. The dark fruits of the wine match up with the dark chocolate undertones from the cigar. The spice level is perfect and does not become overwhelming. That earthy profile, that both exhibit, completes this yummy pairing. Sometimes when you are dealing with both products at this strength rating and a good earthy quality in each, you can get this jammy feel on the palate that is just a little overpowering but, this is just right.

I highly recommend a quality cigar with this Cabernet.

No comments:

Post a Comment