Like It

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

601 Green Habano Oscuro Trabuco and Allagash Victoria Ale: Pairing

The Ale

Allagash Victoria Ale
Ale Brewed with Grapes
9% abv
1pt 9.4oz
$17.00 a bottle
Allagash Brewing
Portland, Maine, USA

Chardonnay grapes were used in the mash to make this tasty ale.

Appearance: hazy orange with dusty golden highlights

Aroma: sweet fruit and malts

Flavors: I can’t tell if it’s grapes but, the sweet fruit style comes through front and center.  Soft earthy yeast mixed in with that nectarine and grape taste.  There is a dusty spice on the finish. 

There is a slight bitterness that builds as the ale warms.  So, the hops are in the mix.  On this hot summer day the ale did get too warm and the sweet fruity notes did disappear and I was left with a nice earth yeast taste.  It was still tasty but, warm. 

Mouthfeel: semi-creamy feel due to the low carbonation that leaves just a hint of fizz on the palate.  Moderate body weight.  Somewhat refreshing. 

My Strength Rating: 4


The Cigar

601 Green Habano Oscuro Trabuco
Wrapper: Habano Oscuro from Nicaragua
Binder/filler: Nicaragua
Size: 6.1 x 58
Price: $11.50 in Michigan

Wonderful barnyard nose when you smell the stick.

Off the Light: moderate earthy style coming through.  As the smoke continues the main profile is forest floor like (earthy).  Rich mineral soil, toasted tobacco leafs and throw in a few twigs for good measure.   There is a nice pink peppercorn finish (nothing too strong).

Late in the first third I start to notice a medium roast coffee note.  For this first third I’ll have to give it a 4 on my strength scale. 

The Pairing: The earthy style of the cigar mixes well with the sweet fruity style of the Victoria Ale.  On this warm 90 degree day the ale is getting warm already but, it is still tasty. 

Mid-Point: it seems that the medium roast coffee note is making its mark.  The rich earthy style is still very pleasing to my palate.  I have never had this cigar before and I have to say that I am enjoying the experience.  I could call it a 4.5 on my strength scale.

The Pairing: with the ale on the warm side, during this hot summer day, it had a nice earthy note and it still worked with the cigar.  I just went to fetch the bottle from the fridge and poured the last glass of this tasty ale.  The fruity notes are back and they are tasty with this stick.  The coffee note from the cigar plays well with the fruity notes from the ale.

Down The Stretch: the medium roast coffee is just a tad fuller and there is a nice spiciness that is mixing it up.  The earthy notes are bit more roasted like.  Let me call it a burnt forest floor at this point.  The strength rating is kicking up a bit to a 5.5 on my strength scale. 

The Pairing: The ale is very refreshing at this point with the cigar.  The cigar really brings out the earthy yeast in the ale while the sweet fruity notes are a little subdued. 

Overall, this has been a very enjoyable pairing.  I would recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment