Like It

Friday, February 19, 2010

Padilla Miami Cigar and a Taddy Porter Night

Samuel Smith Taddy Porter

This porter has a beautiful black body and tan head when poured. The aroma was kind of uneventful for such a great looking beer. I would expect a little bolder roasty malt note than what it has. I like the mild-medium roasted coffee flavor with that little creamy feel. It is low in carbonation and that is good for this porter.

I look at the beer and drink it and I want more from the taste though. This is not a bold tasting porter as you might expect from such a beautiful black looking porter. I do like the mild-medium coffee flavor along with the mild toasty notes and I think I get a little tobacco undertone along the way. This should be good with a quality cigar.

I sat by the campfire last night to enjoy this experience.

I have planned to smoke the Padilla Miami Salomon Cigar with this porter. The cigar brings some nice toasty hints of cocoa and coffee. I like the white pepper undertones while smoking this cigar and drinking this porter.

Wrapper: Corojo
Fillers: Criollo and Corojo
Size: 7.2 x 57
With this combination I get a quality flavorful smoke that is complex to boot.

The pairing was good. The Taddy Porter mixed well with the cigar. The coffee profile from each delivered what I expected. While enjoying the experience I could note the watery mouthfeel of this porter, which is a letdown. This cigar needs a bolder porter to complement its flavor profile. As I said, it was good but, I am not going to write this one down as a repeat experience. The cigar was smooth all the way through while I enjoyed this experience sitting by the campfire tonight. The main body of the cigar delivered some nice earthy qualities along with its other smooth notes.

I have to say, I did not want the cigar to end. But, the porter did and I grab myself a bottle of Bells Porter to finish off the cigar and campfire experience. It is always sad looking at the last few burning logs and the nub of a cigar that was left but, the second bottle of porter was empty and it was time to go to bed – 1:30 am.

1 comment: