Like It

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gurkha Crest Churchill: Review


Wrapper: Connecticut Maduro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: 7x52
My Strength Rating: 3.5/4
The Gurkha Crest sells for around 20 bucks a stick.  Sure glad I got it from CI for only $4.00. 
This cigar has a good looking deep brown leather look the kind you would see on a rich looking sofa.

Off the Light: Toasty tobacco notes with a bit of soft earthiness.  The cigar has a nice medium bodied start. I’ll give it a 4.5 on my strength scale, for off the light.

After the first half an inch, or so, the toasty style mellow to a toasted white bread like note.  As the cigar approaches the mid-point the body weight of the smoke mellows to a three strength rating to me.  There seems to be a touch of cedar swirling around and an undertone of a dark berry note now and then.  The mouthfeel is smooth overall with a lingering cedar taste on the palate. 

The burn has been a bit uneven at times needing at least one major correction.  The ash is a rough looking salt and pepper color.  This is not what I would expect from a ‘top shelf’ cigar. 

Past the mid-point: toasted grains, touch of cedar, I could be talked into a mild coffee note, and nothing developed out of that hint of berry that I thought I detected.  I’ll call it a 3.5 on my strength scale at this point.  I just can’t call it a 4 yet. 

The burn is more consistent (even) since the first half. 

Down the Stretch: The toasted flavors continue to be the main show here.  The cedar note is minimized here on the finish.  The earthy notes are picking up speed as it comes down the stretch.  I’ll give it a 4 on the finish.

As for the price point: Taste plus Cost equals Value; I’ll say it is a good value at $4.00 to $7.00.  Going above 7 bucks this cigar would be losing value. 

This would be good to pair with a Pinot Noir, a good Chardonnay, or a Valpolicella.

No comments:

Post a Comment