Like It

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cardhu 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky: Review


The Cardhu Distillery
Morayshire, Scotland
Region: Speyside
40% Alc/Vol
Purchased: Super Fine Wine & Liquor; Canton, Michigan
$39.99

First: I am not a Scotch drinker.  I have only tried a few in the last couple of weeks with Tony and those two experiences have peeked my interest.  So, off to the store to buy a few bottles to start learning about Single Malt Scotch.  The guys at the Super Fine Wine & Liquor store guided me to this Single Malt Scotch with the understanding that I am a beginner. 

Color: light golden honey

Nose: light oak with a touch of pear and a light vanilla bourbon

Flavors: a thin yet almost creamy vanilla, applepear (if you have not had one – try it), then there is a slight void, and then a soft pink peppercorn like note on the late mid and finish

Body/Mouthfeel: a mild-medium body, soft and smooth, light warmth and low burn on the mid palate, slightly oily texture, faint finish at first but warms up a little after a few sips but that is not saying much, short lived on the finish

I added a couple of small rocks to the second glass and I really liked then. 
My Strength Rating: 4 – mild-medium

To the Point: Just the aroma lets me know that the guy at the store headed me into the right direction.  A very mild nose for a scotch and I think a bold one would have turned me off at this point in my game. 

I personally agree with them, at the party store, that this is a good one to begin with.  The warmth is light and the burn is low. 

I enjoyed this with a Viaje Oro Cigar.  In the past few weeks trying Single Malt Scotches I have found out that I really like them with a quality cigar more than the drink by itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment