Like It

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Renaissance Cabernet Sauvignon 1999 and Casa Torano Cigar

The Wine

This cabernet comes from the Sierra Foothills in Oregon House, California. This 13.5% abv red wine is still fine eleven years later. There is a nice dark cherry nose. I like the blackberry bite that mixes with the plum, earth, black cherry, spice, and sweet cedar notes. This wine leaves a good thick earthy quality or jammy feel on the palate. This cab has some good body.

With each sip I can taste that moist plum flavor and then the dark fruits kick in to add some body structure to the flavor profile. The spice and woody notes play on the back of the palate for that nice Cabernet Sauvignon finish. I think I’ll give this wine a 7 on my strength scale. (medium-full)

This bottle use to sell for around $27 - $30 a bottle and I just picked up a few bottles at $15.00 each.

See earlier posting from today for cigar profile.
 
The Pairing

I have to admit that I wanted to pair this red wine with a fuller bodied cigar but, this seemed like the good opportunity to take a full-medium bodied wine and have something out of its strength rating (going to the milder side of course). I rated this cigar a 1.5 on my strength scale and I rated this wine a seven. So, I am moving 5.5 points over, this should be a good contrast.

The pairing is going very well. The cigar does not interfere at all with this Cabernet Sauvignon. I get to enjoy all the flavors of the wine as if I was not even smoking a cigar. And, I do not mean that as a bad thing either. I am enjoying the smoking experience without changing any of the qualities of this wine. I think this experience has convinced me to purchase a few more of these cigars – just for that reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment