Like It

Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Cigar and Beer Pairing: Olde World Corojo Toro and Luciernaga The Firefly

The Cigar

Olde World Corojo Toro
Wrapper: Nicaragua Corojo
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Size: 6.5 x 52 Toro
My Strength Rating: 4 for the lack of spice

Off the light: Spice on the first couple of puffs.

After the first few puffs the spice seemed to disappear to me. I would expect a better spice profile out of a Corojo wrapped cigar. The taste seemed woody with a sweet pecan nut taste. This cigar is an easy mellow smoke to this point.


Maybe she could add
some spice to this
smoke
 Mid-point: The woody and pecan like taste continued. I found myself getting bored with this smoke. I felt like I was eating peas for dinner.

Finish: more of the same.

To the Point: boring to smoke, smooth delivery, maybe an introductory stick to corojo cigars. Not worth the price.

The Ale
Luciernaga The Firefly

Ale Brewed with Spices
Barrel Aged and Bottle Conditioned
6.5% abv
1pt. 9.4oz bottle
$12.00 a bottle
Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
Dexter, Michigan, USA
jollypumpkin.com
My Strength Rating: 4.5 While, full of flavors and tart on the tongue the body weight is light on the palate. Making it easy to drink.

Appearance: amber or burnt orange with an off-white colored head and plenty of it.

Aroma: sweet spice and citrus zip; light overall

Flavors: tart almost sour taste greets the palate, grapefruit like bite, good oak, solid citrus rinds swirl around some grainy sweet malts and sweet spice. This Belgian-style Pale Ale sure is tasty. They say that they use coriander and grains or paradise to brew this ale. I don’t think the coriander stands out, which is okay by me.

Mouthfeel: a fine carbonation feel leads to a dry finish. Tart yet sweet, lingering notes on the tongue.

To the Point: some nice complexity on the flavors yet easy to drink.

The Pairing

This cigar did not bring anything to the table for this pairing. The good here: it did not interfere with this tasty ale. I still enjoyed the ale for all its flavors. It’s not a bad pairing. This means it’s not good either.

No comments:

Post a Comment