Like It

Thursday, May 20, 2010

San Cristobal Cigar and Bell's Batch 9000: Review

Bell’s Batch 9000 Ale and San Cristobal Review

The Cigar
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: 5 x 50
My strength rating: 5.5
It has been awhile since I have had a San Cristobal. I remember when it came out that some of the guys at the cigar store really liked this stick. Then, I finally tried it and all I remember is that it seemed too earthy and not much else. So, to today – Right off the light it had a medium bodied opening. Nothing to inspiring, at that moment. After a few puffs, the earthy qualities started to build, moss, grassy, dry soil. Approaching the half-way point it is still pretty much the same earthy qualities and for a moment or two a little spice, sweet?spice. I have seen descriptions of toasted wood, roasted nuts, coffee, cherry and I just don’t get it. Maybe, a dry cheap coffee from a grocery store quality coffee or a dive restaurant other than that, I am back to my first impression when it first came out. I am glad I have not bothered with this cigar since then. But, I had hopes that this would be different this time. I really wanted this to pair up with this Ale.

The Ale
Bell’s Batch 9000 Ale is a 12.5% abv sipper. It has a very dark opaque body. Holding it to the light I cannot see through it. Around the top edge of the beverage I can see a mahogany hue – other than that it is a dark black body. Looking down at the glass I get a cola like appearance, interesting. Be ready for that syrupy molasses like sweetness that hits the palate right up front and center. After a few sips and making it past the sweetness, I started to note the dark fruits and the chocolate-coffee profile. There are some nice complexities here to enjoy but, for me getting past that molasses like sweetness can be a chore. There is also the alcohol bite to contend with during this experience.

The Pairing
I am hoping that the earthy qualities of the cigar will help battle some of that sweetness of the ale and bring some of the other notes up.

Well, the cigar does not change anything in the profile of this ale. Which, if you like this ale, that could be a good thing. The earthy qualities of the cigar remain the same during this pairing. The sweetness of the ale I think helps the cigar a little bit. I will be passing on this pairing. And, for that, I’ll be passing on this cigar again for a long time. Since, I have 6 more ounces of this sipping ale left in the glass I’ll find myself another cigar that hopefully makes a better pairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment