Like It

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pinar del Rio Toro Clasico and Arbor Brewing Jackhammer Old Ale

The Cigar

Pinar del Rio Toro Clasico
Exclusivo
Wrapper: Connecticut Shade from Ecuador
Fillers: Nicaraguan and Dominican
Size: 6 x 50

This is a nice looking cigar and tasty for the money ($2.00 a stick).  I picked them up in a Pinar sampler pack of 20 for $39.00. 

The cigar starts with notes of oak and dry vegetation.  As the smoke continues there are notes of mild coffee, a bread like quality and dry soil.  The mouthfeel is smooth and I’ll give it a 4.5/4 on my strength scale. 

I have smoked a couple of these Toro’s already and I have enjoyed each one.  They burn well and hold a pretty good ash with minimal flaking.  I’ll be buying more of these. 


The Ale

Arbor Brewing Jackhammer Old Ale
Arbor Brewing Company
Corner Brewery
Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA
9.3% abv
50 IBU’s

Appearance: dark brown with cola like highlights.  Just a thin layer for the head.  No lacing. 

Aroma: sweet, light roasted caramel malts, light smoky note, very light spice

Flavors: dark fruit that reminds me of a raisin and fig like quality, a nice hoppy spice to balance out the malts, I can’t come up with a specific spice – maybe a hint of clove – so I’ll call it a spice box note, a hint of a low percentage dark chocolate. 

Mouthfeel: low carbonation, smooth feel, the alcohol is present but not an issue to me, a bit thin on the aftertaste

My Strength Rating: 6 – just on the other side of medium.

To the Point: a nice English Style Old Ale, tasty and enjoyable, watch out for the abv,


The Pairing

This cigar goes well with this Old Ale.  The oaky and earthy style of the cigar blends well with the ales raisin, light to moderate spice quality and dry finish.  You can’t go wrong here with this pairing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment