Like It

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Romeo y Julieta Clemenceau: Cigar Review


Back when these came out on the market in Michigan I had three RyJ Clemenceau from the factory in Cuba.  Some of the instructors at work went to Cuba on an ‘educational experience.’  The department head at the time brought me back those cigars.  She bought them right at the factory.  Yes, they got to tour the factory and not one of them smoked cigars.  Here is the crazy thing.  I finally smoked one and I enjoyed it. 


When I went to Trader Tom’s to pick up some cigars, two days laters, there they were sitting on the shelf.  Same packaging, same cigar, it just says, ‘Made in Dominican Republic.’  Of course I bought a box of them then.  Then, I got to do a side by side tasting of the Cuban and the Dominican Romeo y Julieta Clemenceau.  No difference.  Both had that classic cigar tobacco profile. 

Needless to say these were a favorite of mine for a few years.  They are very simple and straight forward.   They are on the mild side and I have always leaned toward the fuller bodied cigars but, this is just a fine smoke now and then. 

Being packaged in the cedar lined tubo this cigar smells wonderful.  Spend a few moments just smelling it before you light it.


Off the Light: light, dry, yet rich earthy tones.  As the cigar continues the earthy tones are still present with a light toasting of grains.  Yes, to me it is just a ‘classic cigar tobacco taste.’

Mid-Point: no surprises here.  This cigar is consistent.  Rich earthy tones, faint cedar, toasted grains, and a touch of nuttiness.  Nuttiness – I like that!  It reminds me of almond with a dusting of walnut.  I’ll give it a 2 on my strength scale.

As the burn passes the halfway point the cedar note builds a little.  While I am enjoying this smoking experience I am wondering why I have not had this stick in a long, long time (years).  I’ll have to buy a box soon. 

This cigar would be nice paired with a Chardonnay, maybe an IPA and it is always good with a cup of coffee (that is what I have right now).

Down the Stretch: this cigar is taking me down memory lane.  I had just bought my summer place in Grindstone, Michigan (2001).  I remember doing that cigar pairing of the Cuban and the Dominican out by the fire pit. I think that had to be in 2002. 

The roasted notes are a tad fuller.  I’ll give it a 3 or 3.5 on my strength scale.  The cedar and earthy tones are a little firmer on the finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment