Like It

Monday, August 2, 2010

La Flor de Cano Short Churchill Cigar and Lilja’s Heifer Weizen: Review

The Cigar

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Filler: Honduran, Nicaraguan, and Mexican
Size: 6 x 50
My Strength Rating: 5.5

This is a nice medium bodied smoke. I like the solid earthy profile. It is like I can taste the soil that the tobacco was grown in. This one has a good spice and peppery character on the medium body level. This cigar burns perfectly and holds a strong ash. The mid-section of this cigar focuses on the earthy notes along with some spice. The pepper action seemed a little more active on the first third.

The Beer

Wisconsin Farmhouse Wheat Beer
? Abv
12 oz bottle
Sand Creek Brewing
Black River Falls, Wisconsin, USA

I have never had or seen this beer before and I am not too sure about this one. Why? You ask. It has three cows on the label. So, the name Heifer!

This beer is lively. There must be plenty of carbonation here. After having to aggressively pour a one finger head on the Summit Hefe, this one you have to be careful with because you will end up with a glass full of foam. The head has a pretty white foam. The body color is a hazy yellowish color. The aroma is a little soapy smelling – I just hope it does not transfer to the taste. Oh, it does not. But, this tastes like a good hefe weizen. The banana, clove, and spice, along with the wonderful wheat flavor is dancing across my tongue to my delight. There is a slight lemon citrus note as an undertone here. This is a very pleasant tasting Heifer.

The Pairing

I randomly selected the La Flor Cigar to go with the beers that I am pairing them with. I wish I had the Selectos size to go with this one – I think they would go very well with each other. My concern with the Short Churchill is the pepper and spice profile working against this hefe. The banana note is missing during this matching. The cigar seems to bring out the grainy, yeasty, wheat notes. At first I didn’t like this matching but, as I continued this was not all too bad. I am going to plan to do another review with this beer and match it with a cigar that I’ll plan.

So, a good learning experience here. Do not match up a peppery and spicy cigar with a Hefe Weizen. This in only a medium style cigar sure glad I did not do a medium-full one.

Cigar – good
Hefe – good
Pairing – only ok

No comments:

Post a Comment