Like It

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Samuel Smith's Stout - Petrus Winter - Padilla Cigar and Fire

Kicking Back by the Fire
Winter Sampling

I have the week off and it is Tuesday already! So, in the attempt to slow time down I am going to pitch a fire and enjoy a couple of beers and smoke a cigar. The cigar is the Padilla 68 Golden Bear, a spicy and flavorful 6 x 60 big boy. It has a nice little coffee profile to it so; I am going to start off with a Samuel Smith’s Imperial Stout. With some coffee flavors in itself I am hoping it will match up on these tasting notes.

The Samuel’s Stout is nice and yummy as I sit out here by the fire. I am calling this a sampling and not a tasting because I am sitting outside in 30 degree temperatures with no humidity and a roaring campfire. So, it is a little hard to smell much out here plus it would be a little hard to type on the laptop with these gloves on.

The cigars spice profile is definitely up front and this is not a great mix with this stout. It is not bad by any means but, I don’t think I’ll pair these two up again for a tasting like I was hoping for. The little coffee flavor in the cigar was taken way due to the flavor in the stout and that left the spicy notes. Now, I will be looking for that cigar with the coffee and chocolate profile to go with the Samuel Smith.


So, let’s move on to the next beer! This is a big cigar and it will take about 2 hours to finish. I have a 750 ml bottle of Petrus Winter Ale that should do the trick with this cigar and its spicy flavor. I actually was planning to do the Petrus with another cigar this week but, let’s see were we go with this.

A great looking pour into the glass as I sit by my fire. The head with its beige looking head of fine foam looks like a mound of snow, just beige in color. The green apple taste and spice of the ale mixes well with the cigar on the first few puffs. As I continue with this pairing I find out that I really like this match up. I am going to plan to do this as a tasting in the near future because it tastes like a winner as I sit out here by the fire pit.


Warm the Chill with Petrus Winter Ale and a Padilla 68 Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment