Like It

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Maduro Sultan and Michelob Dunkel Weisse

Michelob does a nice job with these specialty beers. Are they big in their styles? No. But, to get the regular beer drinker to try a new style this should work. And, this Dunkel does a nice job. A little watery, this is to be expected because they are trying to get the ‘bud’ drinker to try and palate a better beer. The Dunkel still has some nice banana and spice notes to represent the style. Is it for the craft beer drinker? No. Entry level as I explained. They know their niche.

This beer goes well with one of my favorite cigars. The Sultan has some nice coffee and roasty notes that mingle nicely with the beers banana and wheat bread style. They do not interfere with each other. Meaning I get all the flavors of the beer and the cigar. The little watery style of the beer keeps the palate clean while enjoying my stogie. Neither of these are complex. My favorite cigar deserves a little more complex beer. But, this beer may improve with a little more complex cigar, helping its flavor profile.


I’ll keep this pairing in mind for when I am up north sitting around the campfire and wanting to drink a few. But, if I forget nothing lost.

See posting with 'Double Abbey'

No comments:

Post a Comment