Like It

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Padilla 1932 Salomon Cigar and Troubadour Obscura Mild Stout: Review


The Mild Stout
The key words are MILD STOUT folks. It is kind of funny reading some reviews on this mild stout because people want to have the experience of a stout and the taste of a stout but describe it for what it is MILD and say it lacks character of a stout – read the label – Mild Stout.

The aroma is of toffee, coffee and cola on the mild side of course. Nice rich robust style that is mild. The creamy roasty flavors are not overpowering so; it does not leave a hearty mouthfeel. I get a little black licorice undertone. I just grab a piece of black licorice and this matches up with the taste. I like the mild-medium coffee flavor with a little dark fruit along the way. It has a good complexity with its medium body. I am giving it a 5 on my strength rating. A 5 for a stout? – NO – Mild Stout.

This baby is smooth, smooth and smooth. Put a Dean Martin song on – okay – I am showing my age but, he was smooth and effortless in his style. This Mild Stout, does not have to try, it is wonderful. On the bottle they describe it as, “Pleasantly bitter with a … roasted and spicy malt chocolate.” This is a 65% type cocoa not 85% bitter cocoa.

The Padilla 1932
Wrapper: Oscuro
Size: 7.2x59
My Strength Rating: 8
A very good fuller bodied cigar, I give it an 8 on my strength scale. This cigar is one point out of the usual two points that I would move over for a pairing but, sometimes you have to go with the word description or flavor profile which I am going to focus on here. This cigar has some fuller spice and roasty notes that will fill your palate. It had an unusual soapy floral undertone when I first lit it up.  It reappears on the finish for a moment.

The pairing
Not what I was hoping for. I thought the cigar would bring the mild stout up a bit in flavor. The mild stout did seem to mellow the black pepper and bold spice on the cigar. Made for a good pairing but, nothing memorable, I think the body of the cigar was to full for the mild stout. I’ll have to reach back into the humidor for another cigar that will help to maximize my pleasure pairing. The nice creamy and medium robust style of the mild stout was lost on this cigar.
The cigar had burning issues all the way through. It just wanted to canoe and I had to battle with the lighter to keep it going. The one yesterday only had minor issues with canoeing.

See the posting where I pair this stout with the Work of Art Cigar

No comments:

Post a Comment