Like It

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Graycliff 1666 and Piraat Ale: Review

The Hunt Continues with Graycliff 1666



Wrapper: Jaltepec Maduro
Binder: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Filler: Peruvian, Columbian, Brazilian
Size: 6 x 52 Pirate, sure looks like a 50

I purchased a mazo of Graycliff Pirates from CI when they had a big special on them last year. Cheap!!! I thought they were suspect from the time I got them though. The wrapper color was a brown ruddy color and when I had them in the past they were always a nice black color. I am finally going to smoke one. Well, I have some nice black colored robustos that are about the same size and I have it ready as a backup smoke. Why you ask? When the maduro wrapper has that brown color, when they are usually black, the taste is not as good.

The Pirate cigar of course is lacking in the smooth category. I get a full French Roast coffee flavor with a slight harsh cocoa to the palate. So, I light up the robusto after an inch or so of the torpedo. What a difference. That nice coffee and cocoa flavor is there, no harsh notes. The jet black robusto is smooth, somewhat, creamy in style. This is how a 1666 is to taste. The Pirate 1666 is a loser.

I won’t be buying those cheap mazos anymore of the 1666’s. There is a reason they are cheap – probably 2nd no thirds. A buck or buck-fifty ok!

Back to the tasting. This is good with the Piraat Ale. You must remember that good is a C in grading. Not a memorable moment but, it works. I liked the Cameroons better. The ale is good but the cigar is just a cigar, if you know what I mean. I would not pay above 4 bucks for this cigar. See, the cigar brought the ale down to a good rating. What you smoke affects the beverage.
Interesting, after the cigars are out (yes, I smoked both of them) and some time has passed, the Piraat Ale is coming back with some nice tropical flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment