Like It

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Montecristo Royal Delacroix and Alimony Ale IPA: Pairing

The Ale

Alimony Ale IPA
India Pale Ale
Buffalo Bill’s Brewery
Hayward, California, USA
Brewed by: Independent Brewers United
Seattle, Washington, USA or Portland or Berkeley
6.8% abv

Appearance: somewhat clear amber body with a one finger head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing on the glass.

Aroma: not much to talk about here; little grassy hops

Flavors: hoppyful – floral, pine, little peppery, hint of pineapple with some undertones of malts,

Mouthfeel: low carbonation, little wool like texture,

My Strength Rating: 6.5 – medium-full bodied

To the Point: a good tasting IPA, probably not a beginner or introductory IPA but, the next step up so let’s call it intermediate level. 


The First Cigar

Going Old School – Old Stock (circa 2001)
Montecristo Royal Delacroix
Size: 7.25 x 52

From the Michel Delacroix Ceramic Humidor
This Humidor has to be from 2000 to 2002.  They discontinued the des arts series in 2002.  In 1998 and 1999 they did the Delacroix decorative boxes which I have (3) hanging on my office walls at work.  I have the 1999 box that has the 2000 glass tubes in it.  I smoked that on that New Year’s Eve where we were going to crash. 


15 tubos

I was at Smoky’s of Livonia (Michigan) and they had three of these old Montecristo ceramic humadors and so I had to buy this size because it was my favorite back in the day.  

This is a quality mild smoke on the first half and turns to a mild-medium smoke on the final third.  The flavor profile is classic tobacco taste, lightly toasted grains with a smooth mouthfeel. 

It is a great experience for me.  One, it is a blast from the past.  Two, I get too see how cigars have changed since then and how my own taste preferences have changed.  I have to say I still enjoy this mild smoke.  I am looking forward to pairing it with some wine in the future. 

As for the paring with the Alimony Ale; this cigar paired well with this ale.  This IPA is not too strong to pair with some bolder cigars but, with this mild smoke with its classic tobacco profile fits the bill here.  This cigar might even pair well with a stronger IPA. 

Click here to see the second pairing

No comments:

Post a Comment