Like It

Monday, May 10, 2010

Don Lino Africa Kiboko Cigar and The Hattrick 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon: Review

Igor Larionov Select Wines – The Hattrick 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Napa Valley

So much for having that bottle signed by Igor, between being shelved in the cellar and then holding the bottle, I have pretty much taken off his signature. Oh well, I don’t save bottles anyways.

Here is the description on the bottle: “Brilliantly pure aromas of black cherry, earth and herb give way to flavors of deep red fruit, cedar and spice that linger impressively on the finish.”

This rich and full bodied wine is pure pleasure. I am upset that I only bought one bottle – back to the store for more. Call Jim at The Fine Wine Source for more (mental note for myself). The aroma will delight your senses and the bold flavors will satisfy the savvy wine drinker. While the wine texture comes across bold and full of flavor it still has a smooth and elegant style – kind of how we saw Igor Larionov play here in Detroit. The Professor of hockey proves he is also the Dean of Cabernet Sauvignon with this bottle of vino. Now, this power packed beauty needs a quality cigar to match its style.

The Cigar
Don Lino Africa Kiboko
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: African, Dominican, Honduran, Nicaraguan (I have also seen Mexico listed instead of Honduran)
Size: 6.5 x 58
My Strength Rating: wow, I am up in the air with this one and I have smoked a bunch of these babies. How about a 6 or 6.5 on the first two-thirds and then a 9 on the final couple inches - for an average of 7. But, that all depends what you are drinking or eating along the way. And it is damn good!

This is one solid complex cigar. The start is on the milder side of medium then; it builds to medium, medium-full and then finishes with a brash bang of strength. The taste profile is wonderful on the first two thirds of the smoke. Cedar, coffee, and spice are right there to delight the smoker. By the halfway point I notice a spicy-peppery note as the strength passes the medium strength rating. This is toasty, roasty, and robust at this point in the game. The woody cedar profile is strong to please the palate. Be ready for the final third for that is where the strength builds in a bold way. The right beverage can tame this but, the drink needs to match the strength of this cigar or the final few inches will seem overwhelming. The finish at times to me has reached that 9 strength rating – it’s full. So, this cigar starts off with a 4.5 strength rating off the light and can end with a bang of 9. Be ready to enjoy all the other flavors along the way.

The Pairing

These two are perfect. They can skate together. I think this Cabernet is the best beverage I have paired with this cigar. The wine even controlled that very bold finish of the cigar. I smoked that beast down to the final half inch and that is hard to do with this cigar. I highly recommend this pairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment