Like It

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Hoyo de Monterrey Sultan Double Maduro and Round Barn Brewery Wood Oaked IPA: Paring

The Cigar


Hoyo de Monterrey Sultan Double Maduro

This has been one of my favorite cigars for a long time.  It weighs in at 7.2 x 54 in size.  The flavor has a tasty medium roasted earthy coffee bean profile with a nice touch of oak.  It is not the most complex cigar around.  I would have to say that it is rather simple in style but, in that simplicity is the beauty of this cigar.  It is a ‘classic’ Hoyo for it has withstood the test time.  This is not the latest and greatest cigar on the market and within a year or so to never be heard from again.  It also has a great price point; around $5.00 on-line and $8.00 in your brick and mortar locations.  Whenever I smoke one of those 15 or 20 dollar cigars, while I enjoy them, I always say is it worth the money.  When I smoke this Sultan Oscuro there is no doubt that it is worth every penny – oops, old man talk – every dollar. 


The Ale

Round Barn Brewery Wood Oaked IPA 
the Round Barn Brewery
Oaked India Pale Ale
the Round Barn brewery
Baroda, Michigan, USA
6.75 abv
$9.99 a six pack

I have to say that I am really looking forward to trying this beer for the first time.  An Oaked IPA – sound good to me and it sounds like it should go good with a fine cigar.

Appearance: cloudy, deep golden-tangerine body with a half finger bone white head that leaves some lacing on the glass with each sip but does not stick.

Aroma: light overall, some oak, citrus-floral in the mix

Flavors: the mild-moderate oak flavor seems to mix well with some muted hops, mild citrus at best with a hint of pine on the finish. 

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation, dry, oak spice that is reminding me of my oak sea salt that I use in cooking, piney on the finish and aftertaste along with the oak, nothing overpowering

To the Point: IPA fans or Hop Heads might be disappointed or a little disappointed but, I like the touch of oak.  For someone who likes cigars and some cigars have oaky notes … well this would be worth buying and enjoying with a fine cigar.  Look forward to a few reviews on my cigar blog with this beer. 

Worthy to try … ahrrr … interesting to try? Yes.  For the cigar smoker it is a must pairing – I’ll bet. 


The Pairing

This cigar is not one I would grab for to pair with an IPA.  The dry and slightly bitter medium roasted coffee
note just does not go with the bitter hops on an IPA.  This Wood Oaked IPA by Round Barn does not have a strong bitter hoppy style, it is rather mild-medium in its citrus notes but has a good oaky tone.  I thought this oaky note makes for a good match for a fine cigar. 

Nothing like a little liquid oak from the ale mingled with a little smoky oak from the cigar to please this cigar-beer fanatic.  The muted citrus notes don’t bring out the bitterness in the cigar like a strong IPA would.  The soft fruity notes of the ale are pleasing with the earthy coffee bean notes of the cigar. 

I have to admit that it is not a memorable pairing but, it is a very pleasing pairing.  I could smoke this cigar and drink this ale all night long and be satisfied.    

No comments:

Post a Comment