Like It

Friday, April 2, 2010

El Padrino by: Oliveros and Biggby French Roast Coffee


The Cigar
It is said that they use ‘rare’ Italian tobaccos combined with Piloto Cubano Dominican Tobaccos for the fillers. The wrapper is a triple-fermented Brazilian maduro. A year or so ago, when I bought a bundle of the Franky the Bull, 6 x 60 size, I was impressed when I opened them up. I had to look like a big drooling dog. They are truly jet black and the ring band is a little piece of art work. Now, this is not a big bold maduro taste that coats the palate with some great earthy qualities and other spicy and peppery flavors. Read the description, smooth and mellow. It does have a nice mild coffee profile along with some smooth earthy qualities. So, I know this cigar has that smooth and mellow quality tobacco style but, my brain works on looks sometimes and I see this beautiful looking maduro sitting there and I want a big bold maduro taste and then I grab this cigar, only to smoke it to say, “This isn’t big and bold.” I have to remind myself, “self, this is a smooth and mellow maduro,” and then my expectations are met.

For pairing this cigar with a beverage, I like a big red wine or coffee. I have not tried pairing it with a beer yet but, I’ll have to do that some time. A Cabernet Franc with some nice earthy qualities and peppery notes matches well. But, I would think that any big red with some good black pepper notes or even white pepper notes should be a good pairing because the cigar does not have that in its profile.

The Pairing
This morning I wanted a cigar to smoke with my new fresh bag of Biggby French Roast coffee. This French Roast is a full-bodied coffee. So, I go to the humidor and look it over – there they are (the few that are left), the El Padrinos, and they are saying, “pick me.” The brain was working and the thought came over me, smooth and mellow, the perfect morning cigar. And, like a bolt of lightning I am out in the driveway with my leather chair ready to enjoy a 70 degree morning in the month of April.

My expectations are met with that smooth and mellow style of the cigar along with the bold and full-body profile of the French Roast Coffee. A cigar with a stronger strength rating would be too full for my morning experience when just having coffee or a light breakfast. The coffee, I think, actually helps the flavor of this cigar. In my opinion, it brings the richness of the mild earthy and coffee notes up during this pairing. When I have had this cigar in the past all by itself I sometimes find it a little boring. So, to maximize your experience find that full-bodied coffee that you like and light up the El Padrino Cigar.

No comments:

Post a Comment